antikeylogger recommendations

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by angus49, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

Can anyone recommend any stand alone antikeyloggers that are safe and from reputable companies?

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

3. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

SpySweeper also comes with a keylogger shield to detect keyloggers in real-time

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SnoopFree- i don,t think u need anything more than this unless u get a kernel based keylogger on ur system.
    OA Armor
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    None of all these will detect a preinstalled kernel based keylogger though.

Pls see my thraed here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=143853

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Rumor has it that SnoopFree will be releasing a version 2.0 sometime in the near future (next few months?) that will deal with kernel level keyloggers, and should also present users an option to "hide" the system tray icon as well as create a desktop icon or other means where the user can open and access the GUI (to make changes, view settings and activity, etc.).....

Oh, and that it will remain freeware as well ;)

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I think the upcoming Neoava Guard (Freeware), beta test will start next weeks, will also handle kernel level Keylooger. Seams Arman is doing a god job.

9. angus49

WOW! Thanks to everyone for the leads. I guess I'll have some testing to do now. And yes I was looking for a stand alone product. I have used ewido and SS is no longer on my system, nor will it ever be again after the 5.0 release fiascos.

10. angus49

I went to Download.com to check out some of the reviews for SnoopFree. Most were positive, but the one negative was a little bit disturbing if true. I quote here:

"Beware - Load this program at your own risk!!

24-Nov-2005 05:05:18 PM
    Reviewer: GWE
    Pros: Not a bad program, there are others like it that do more.
    Cons: If this program does not uninstall completely, or you have trouble uninstalling it - YOU ARE IN TROUBLE! Various programs like Yahoo Messenger stop loading, others load but don't work right, and you will begin to have all kinds of trouble with your task bar and your Start Menu. The files are protected and you can NOT delete them UNLESS you bring your PC up in Safe Mode. Then, beware, you can search your PC directories and think you have gotten rid of this pesky program while in Safe Mode, but the program drops a file called Snopfree.SYS in your Windows system directory. Since it is a variation of the name, you normally wouldn't find this program. I happened to find it when I reviewed all my running Windows XP services. I then searched the Windows registry, removed the reference to it, rebooted and becasue it was not load since I had removed it from the registry, two things happened-I could now delete this file AND all the programs it messed up started working and the problems with the Task Bar and Start Menu cleared up and now my PC runs fine again. Like I said LOAD THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!"

Any comments?

11. Remouald

Remouald Registered Member

as I understand it, you should not have problem uninstalling in SAFE MODE and delete manually the driver snoopfree.sys

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Now that is good news. Thanks for the info. I have been using SnoopFree for a couple of years.
    Jerry

13. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

McAfee SiteAdvisor classifies that site as "red" for about 111 spammy emails a week.... And now Idon't want to try it! :'(

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

That is not good news.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

15. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Which site would that be, A1? Download.com?

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Snoopfree.com is red, and also download.com.
    That is a disappointment.

A couple of sites, including Tucows, are showing it as shareware for $20.00. I don't remember it costing anything when I downloaded it.

Jerry

17. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

download.com isn't red! :D checks out perfectly!

18. ESQ_ERRANT

ESQ_ERRANT Registered Member

FYI: I noticed your post (before or after you posted here?) on CNET. I also came across the McAfee site advisory that A1SteakSauce mentions. I think I will stay clear of SnoopFree. It sounds like one of those programs that takes as much as it gives: sends one's address to marketing firms and hides files under a name other than its own, making a clean uninstall difficult.

Snoopfree apparently likes to snoop on the user. No thanks. I will stick with PrivacyKeyboard. It tends to play havoc with a lot of my software unless I place each and every execute file on the whitelist. And, as PKB does not do a very good job of checking one's legitimate apps either on install or thereafter, it is a devil to work with, I have found. Still, PKB does uninstall completely, albeit if you do it right. That means that you MUST use the product's own uninstall program. Even the MS Add/Remove uninstall program is not safe. And I would not trust "Total Uninstall" either.

I had not used the Company's own uninstaller and as I had attempted initially, unsuccesfully, to uninstall the program with the MS Add/Remove program, I felt compelled to manually uninstall various files. This made the matter worse. I was completely undone until I went back to an earlier snapshot using FDISR. Certain files apparently latch onto kernal registry coding and cannot be extricated whatever one does. The result for me was ghost images of PKB "stops" all over the place and an inability to use some apps.

PKB mentions the importance of using its own uninstall program, but this grave point is, unfortunately, buried rather deep in the program's white papers, and, even then, as a mere passing note. The caution should be set forth in big bold letters front and center on Raytown's website.

I suppose the Company avoids this, believing that the warning will frighten prospective purchasers and users away from the product just as the warnings on cigarette packs are meant to do. And, as most software sellers, I presume, warn the user, in their licenses, that the user uses the product essentially at his or her peril -- as the seller will provide no guarantees that the product won't compromise the user's system and will provide no recourse if it does -- the user is ultimately on his or her own if the program crashes the system.

It may be that all anti-keylogger programs have tricky uninstalls. It is best to pay really close attention to those uninstall procedures before loading one of these apps up.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My error, CNet Download.com is not red.
    Jerry

20. ESQ_ERRANT

ESQ_ERRANT Registered Member

I apologize Angus49. I misread your entry. You found the same negative report on CNET that I did. It wasn't your own, but did raise alarms for you as it did for me.

I think, though, that as to the matter of anti-keyloggers, we've come full circle. I do not think that any of them are truly safe. I do, however, believe that there are reputable companies and I feel that, despite the problems I have had, as, for example, with PrivacyKeyboard, Raytown is a legitimate Company that takes pride in its products. Indeed, they have responded to my personal query in a timely manner. The Company said that my problems were "atypical" and wanted a complete rundown of my system, together with the error messages generated. I did not, unfortunately, have a record of the error messages and I did not want to send out a complete BELARC or WinPatrol Report of my system to the Company.

Another point, I wish to make: you will find that the manufacturers of anti-keyloggers often, if not invariably, are also manufacturers of key logging programs. This sounds a bit dubious to be sure -- sort of like playing both ends against the middle. :doubt:

By the way, Anti-Keylogger is produced by the same Company that manufactures PrivacyKeyboard. Anti-Keylogger has been getting more press attention here than PKB. PKB is really nothing more than a souped up version of Anti-Keylogger though, nothing more.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have installed and uninstalled it many time swithout problem. It never tried to call home according to my firewall. No conflicts. Takes little resources.
    Pls read the reviews about NOD. KAV and PG on download.com and see how many people wrote negatively about these software.
    Any software can do unexpected things on any PC, I can,t say that It will not give any peoblem on ur system. All that i can say it is running very well on my PC. Regarding SA, there assessment is not 100%. I never got a spam from them as afr as I can remember.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I never received spam either from them, but I wonder if this is a new situation.
    Jerry

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder how u can get spam, u don,t need to give ur email address to download it. Am I true?

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would assume that they need your email address. I also assume that I gave them that when I downloaded the original program, but I may be incorrect on that.

Jerry

25. TNT

TNT Registered Member

SnoopFree doesn't require you to send your e-mail address to anyone. It doesn't phone home. And its uninstall process always went like a breeze for me. Get your facts straight, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.