Anti-Virus Program Proxy Settings?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brosephine, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Brosephine

Brosephine Registered Member

I was looking through the advanced settings of my anti-virus program and noticed that it gives me the option to use a proxy server.

I understand how & why to use a proxy in a web browser, but am wondering why someone would want to use one with their anti-virus.

Is it a privacy issue or something else?

Thanks

2. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Depending on how your network's firewall is configured, it may not be possible to access the Internet except through a proxy server.

If your browser uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet, then your antivirus program will likewise use the proxy server to connect to the Internet. Your antivirus program may be able to pick up the proxy server settings from Windows' Internet Explorer settings, but it would otherwise need to be configured to use your proxy server. Your antivirus program accesses the Internet when it updates its database and application modules, when it scans files "in the cloud," and when it validates your license.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

dont they use the proxy settings from system? that is already winsocket to connect to a network, why set another one?

4. itman

itman Registered Member

I believe Avast still uses a local host proxy server for their web filtering protection? I suspect a few other AV's with like protection do the same. A more effective way of doing this is from AV's that use a network adapter driver filter for web filtering.

5. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

Avast uses a proxy ? I dont think, I think they uses hooks on the local network, like Kaspersky 2014.

For me the best is a NIDS, a proxy is too much dangerous.

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

web protection is not this proxy setting - web protection is like a root kit @kernel level, the proxy settings is used for verification or updates, see above.

7. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

" web protection is like a root kit @kernel level "

In 64 bits system ? ... it's a dream.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.