Anti-Trojan software still needed with NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dave s, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Hi guys,

I understand Eset has increased the number of trojans detected with the latest version of NOD32. However, it sounds like using a separate A-T scanner is still recommended even if using NOD32 (if maximum protection is desired right?) If this is the case, can you guys give me some brand recommendations. Degree of difficulty (in setup or operation) and resource use is not an issue....just looking for the best protection for our SOHO PCs.

thanks in advance,

Dave

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Try the TDS forum on this site. It might save you a lot of time :D
    Dolf

3. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Thanks Dolf,

I've just downloaded TDS-3 for a trial run. I'll checkout their forum here also. Just curious as to fellow NOD32 user's recomendations....

thanks,

dave

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Dave,

Since I'm all for layered defense, personally I do recommend using a resident running dedicated antitrojan software.

Have a look at TDS3 - there's a dedicated forum on this board for this AT ;).

In case you feel like discussing antitrojans: please open a new thread over on the DCS/TDS3 forum or the "other anti-trojans" forum, since it doesn't belong over here anymore ;)

regards.

paul

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The 3 recommended Anti-trojan programs are TDS-3, BOClean and Trojan Hunter.

You will find supporters of all 3 here at wilders. You can trial TDS-3 and Trojan Hunter but not BOClean, which has a money back guarantee if you are not happy with it. In addition, BOClean is the only one of the 3 which does not have an on-demand file scanner, but this is not really a disadvantage.

BOClean is probably the easiest to set up and run and even easier with the automatic updating in the new version just released.

I use BOClean as my running guard, with TDS-3 as a backup scanner alongside NOD, with no problems.

All have excellent support behind them and any of the 3, would give you top notch protection against trojans.

6. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Thanks Paul,

You've actually just answered my one question so far about TDS. According to a product review, the reviewer gave the impression it (TDS) wasn't running in real-time which caused me concern. (I really don't want to depend on someone remembering to activate protection at every boot!)

Sorry for what appears to be a post in the wrong forum (it was deliberate ;-), I simply use NOD32 and would trust the opinions of those who use/know it.

best regards,

dave

7. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Blackcat,

Thanks!! Exactly what I'm looking for...I'll give all three of your recommendations the once over and make a decision. Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of your three choices.

regards,

Dave

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

My pleasure ;) FYI: exec prot has to be enabled just once, and TDS should be configured to load from boot - that's all there's to it.

No prob: the initial question was a valid one. As for additional AT's: that one needs another forum to be addressed ;)

No objections here!

regards.

paul

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Dave,

Here's a vote for BOClean running alongside NOD. No problems here, and they are co-existing happily.

You won't go wrong with any of the "big three", however, I prefer BOClean's approach to "doing it's business".

Lean, clean, and VERY mean.

;)

As an addendum to the orginal question: Personally, I would recommend an AT running alongside ANY AV--whether NOD32, or Norton, or whoever, just to get that "bouncer with a billyclub" for anything that might defeat my AV.

10. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the input! I'll give Boclean a try by the weekend. I'm using TDS-3 at the moment and am quite impressed at the flexibilty of this product!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback,

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.