Anti-trojan compatible

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Suggers, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Hi,
    I've just started using nod32 and want to back it up with an anti-trojan.
    Im using an old windows 98 (SE) PC with only 191mb RAM, and was wondering what is the most effective and lightest realtime antitrojan that is compatable?
    Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

tho i have no experience with it, its been said that BOClean is very light on resources.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I've been using BoClean for couple of years, first with NOD32 and now with KIS 6.0 Beta. I think it's a nice complement, works flawlessly and it's so light on resources I don't even notice it's there.:)

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

BOClean here too running just fine on 98SE. Talk about light, the whole program including all the defs is the smallest i've ever heard of, Only .5Mb ! The CPU cycles between 1% - 5% about every 10 seconds, nothing really. Never misbehaves and works like magic.

StevieO

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I recall correctly BOCLEAN does not have a trial, but does have a 30 day money back guarantee. Both Ewido and a-squared have free trials.

I have not used BOCLEAN, but have used the other two. Memory runs around 33,000K for each.

I would trial those and would not be afraid of using BOCLEAN, as their money back guarantee is honest.

ADDED.
    I did not realize that Ewido was not for W98. You do need the lightest with the memory limitation.

Best,
    Jerry

7. Infinity

Indeed Boclean doesn't have a trial and an On Demand scanner isn't included either .. (heard they're working on it btw..fanatics ague it is possible to do an ondemand scan but it isn't enough .. not at the moment .. not with this tools ..)

I can understand NSCLEAN's phylosophy regarding on access memory scanning .. but still personaly I would hate having a sleeping trojan (not executed at that time) .. I would rather have it delete it .. destroy it! lol

8. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Infinity...I can understand your take on a 'sleeping trojan'...but a sleeping trojan is harmless until it loads into memory....then, Boclean works it's magic...clinically, and effectively.nailing it, destroying it.Boclean is light and unobtrusive....give it a try.

ftwynne59

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

BOClean is NOT as "light" on Win98 as is A-squared. BOClean is "light" on XP but not on 98. Please allow me to explain...

A unique aspect of Win98 is that of *true system resources.*

Users of WinXP use the term "system resources" primarily to refer to cpu usage and usage of ram (memory). However, under Win98 a given program might be very light in terms of cpu & ram, but still be FAR too heavy to run under Win98. Why? Because available "system resources" for Win98 is a value that is totally unaffected by increasing your computer's cpu speed or available ram.

At any given point in time, Win98's usage/availability of *true system resources* can be determined as follows...

1- While holding Windows key, press the Pause/Break key. This gives a pop-up called "System Properties."

2- On "System Properties" pop-up, click on the tab "Performance"

3- On "Performance" tab, notice the line titled "System Resources." It is expressed as a percentage free. That is Win98's *true system resources.*

Each program that you run will reduce that percentage number. When you shut down a given program, it SHOULD return all the system resources that it used. However, many programs do not do a good job of this.

As the true system resources percentage gets lower & lower, through usage of programs on your computer, your computer will slow down. If the *true system resources* percentage gets really low, your computer will get very slow, might become unstable, & might even crash.

Therefore, when selecting security programs, it is important to select those which do not have too big an impact on *true system resources.* To repeat: Even if you add more ram or a faster, it will NOT help *true system resources* for Win98.

Thus, some security programs which have a reputation for being light & fast, are NOT so light in *true system resources.* For example, BOClean, although it is relatively light & fast on WinXP, uses more *true system resources* than does A-squared.

Other examples include but are by no means limited to the following:
    *WinPatrol uses less than 1% *true system resources* whereas Arovax (a similar program) uses 5% to 6%.
    **DrWeb uses only 2% *true system resources* whereas NOD32 uses 8%.
    *** The registry monitor MJRegWatch uses 6% *true system resources* whereas the reg monitor in RegRun's Watchdog uses only 3%.

BOTTOM LINE- When doing trials of security programs for use on Win98, it is a good idea to compare *true system resources* in determing which is the lightest. Lightness is certainly not the only important factor in a security program but (for Win98 users) it is a significant one.

10. Infinity

I'm a licenced Boclean user for several years now .. imho Boclean has the best memory scanner on the market!

but memory scanning isn't the holy grail (at least not in my case .. I find some stuff of more importance .. like those sleeping malware ..)

I need "heuristic" memscanning (behavioural blocking capacities) in conjunction with signatures ..

and at the moment .. the only program that can deliver this is A2.
    Heuristics + memoryscanning (this memscanner is not the best on the market I can confirm) but with an active filescanner .. in conjunction with their IDS (which is by far the best effort made so far .. it works even very good) .. I feel protected .. and I have my memoryscanner (boclean and Ewido plus) backed up.

That's why I'm still a supporter of several different security programs instead of on security suite .. I believe there is a certain name for this .. lol

Confirmed :thumb:

11. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Nice post bellgamin.Its for the very reasons that you have explained that i use quickresource meter in startup
    http://am-productions.biz/getprod.php?pcode=QuickResource
    so i can check different programs impact on resources,and keep an eye on badly behaved programesAs you say some programes use a huge amount.Spybot for example uses a huge amount on my system,so i dont use it anymore.

12. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Thanks for the replies guys. My system resources are currently showing as 55% free, so they shouldn't be a problem, I'll give boclean and a-squared a try and see which one I like the best. :)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Its, all new to me but I want to ask- so what these system resources are inafct?

14. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Also, does anyone know the approx % of system resources Boclean and a-squared use on win 98, or does this vary according to the individual computer?

15. ellison64

16. ellison64

I dont know exactly but if you dont want to download quick resource meter (its a little lighter and better than windows own one) ,you can make a shortcut from rsrcmtr.exe in your windows folder ,which is windows resident resource meter.If you put in startup folder it will start with windows and give you a visual (and numerical) indication of resources used.
    ellison

17. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Thanks ellison, i'll give it a go.

18. Infinity

sorry .. do not want to offend anyone!

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Good Luck I hope you find BoClean like I have to be a top quality program. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.