Anti-theft phantom account problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Thyme Lawn, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thyme Lawn

Thyme Lawn Registered Member

My laptop exists on 2 domains, work and local. The policy pushed from work makes that the default domain and the local domain has to be specified to login as a local user.

Obviously I couldn't create an anti-theft phantom user on the work domain, but anti-theft configuration on my.eset.com won't allow me to set a local user as the phantom login because the \ between the domain and user names is in the set of invalid characters.

Is there any way to resolve this?

2. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

hello thyme lawn [excellent name btw] and i hope i can be helpful :)

from what you say, you have one machine [with 2 personalities] --- the anti-theft facility [from what i understand] applies to the one machine [my machine has 2 personalities also], but the machine itself is but one thing with one name!

so, if your machine is called XXX [in fact and if i recall correctly, 'my.eset.com' automatically detects that information], it is machine XXX that you register, not the individual domains.

therefore, you register your machine [XXX] and you provide a 'phantom account name' [say, YYY]. that account [YYY] will then appear on your login desktop, along with your other domain account profiles.

you need to password protect access to your domain profiles but from what i can tell, password access to the phantom account is not required [it's all part of the trickery i expect].

NOTE: account YYY is set up on your desktop *remotely* via your 'my.eset.com' account --- there is no requirement for you to set privileges or deny access rights to that account on your machine because the anti-theft facility via your 'my.eset.com' account does that automatically; it really is a beautiful thing :)

beyond that, i'm still learning and trying to understand the extent to which anti-theft works for me now and in the event that my machine is stolen.

i hope i've understood you correctly and if so, i hope i've been able to provide you with an appropriate answer.

in any event, good luck :)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V6 Home Edition was not tested in a domain environment as it's intended only for home users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.