anti-spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by law93, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. law93

law93 Registered Member

currently, i have spyware blaster, superantispyware (free), spybot s&d and adaware (free).
    i'm just wondering if those are good enough to do the job, but i'm also thinking about AVG AS. i hear its good, but its almost like superantispyware.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Your setup is pretty good. AVG anti spyware has some updating problems but is overall good.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

There are more than enough . Perfect combination . You don't need more . You also need an antivirus and a firewall .

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You could add as many on-demand spyware/malware scanners as you want. AVG AS and SAS are the best.
    If you want to get rid of spyware/malware infections just use a third-party browser with whitelisted Java/Javascript inside a sandbox.

5. law93

law93 Registered Member

and i use comodo firewall along with avast pro (forgot to mention that)

what if i just use avg as and sas, would that be ok?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No problem

Yes , it is , but your current setup is fine , too .

7. law93

law93 Registered Member

i'm just looking for the best system saving setup, and AVG AS and SAS together sounds to be good. and those two do catch lots of things, right?

i'm thinking of keeping spyware blaster though, that seems to work well.

8. lucas1985

SpywareBlaster prevents spyware and doesn´t eat resources, so keep it.

9. law93

law93 Registered Member

one more thing.

i got avg as free, but it says i need a key or some....whats up with that?

10. lucas1985

The key is for the realtime guard.

11. law93

law93 Registered Member

so does that mean i just let the 30 day trial run down, then i'll get the thing for free?
    and what about the pro version? does that have a better detection rate or does it just give you automatic features?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  12. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

After the trial you'll be able to keep the demand scanner, but you'll lose certain features. Most particularly you'll lose the Guard which offers realtime protection by scanning executable files as you try to run them (ie open them) and scans them again as they unload into memory.

The detection rate (for demand scans) is the same, but you'll be doing the detecting after stuff has got onto your system rather than realtime scanning which intercepts before damage can be done. The realtime scanner may have different detection rates because the heuristics is not the same as the demand scanner.

13. law93

law93 Registered Member

so would you reccomend me getting the full version of avg as or am i just good with using its free version along with superantispyware?

(i also got spyware blaster to prevent spyware from coming in when i'm on the net)

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hey, if it's about scanners (artillery), there's not much Ad-aware can do, specially compared to A-Squared. Those are the best freeware scanners: SAS, AVG AS, A2.

15. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

For real time I'd go with Spyware Terminator. :)

16. law93

law93 Registered Member

my friend has spyware terminator but it seems to use more ram than i want it to....right now, AVGAS seems to use about 13k average while running (still got the trail version, but am thinking of getting the key)

i'm just wondering if i should get the key...or should i just wait for it to turn into the free version. what do you guys think?

17. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

If you're going to spend money on an AS application I would highly recommend you purchase the Pro version of SAS w/ Lifetime updates. You're using the free version so why not spend a little cash and support Nick and the SAS team? :) It's updated daily in most cases, has superior detection rates compared to other apps, exemplary support, and you don't have to worry about paying for renewals if you opt for the $10 lifetime update package. Although SAS may use up to 60MB of memory with real-time enabled it has virtually zero impact on system resources. Most people have ample system memory, and if you happen to have less than 512MB I would highly recommend an additional 512MB.

18. law93

law93 Registered Member

but would you guys recommend AVGAS Full overall? or is the free version just as good at protecting your computer? because i already have avast pro and comodo firewall running

19. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

AVG AS paid is good, but I would recommend SAS Pro;)

20. law93

law93 Registered Member

if i get SAS pro, should i get another program, or will it do the job along with spyware blaster, comodo firewall and avast pro?

21. law93

law93 Registered Member

actually...i think i'm just gonna go with spyware terminator and SAS free...those two sound good together

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Both are fair choices especially SAS. I currently AVG/AS alongside SAS with the real-time guard enabled.

If you're really looking to tighten matters for secure internet travels don't forget to check out a good HIPS. There are plenty of those in circulation now and offering "free" versions also if that's your preference. System Safety Monitor is but one of the best of the many favorite's here of users. Options abound in this category.

Regards EASTER

23. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

AVG antispyware works well as a demand scanner, which it will become at the end of the trial. At that point, reconfigure it not to start with windows.
    Spybot, AdAware, and any other demand scanner that doesn't run at startup consumes no resource at all, just disk space. (And not too much of that either.) No reason not to keep them, or, as mentioned above, as many others as you want. Asquared is good, also. SAS is very popular, has good support, and the ability to clean stuff that some of the others don't, according to accounts I've read....I don't know, because since installing SpywareTerminator (which has a HIPS optionally included,and an AV optionally included-which I don't strongly recommend) I've had no nasties on the system to clean. Used to run a battery of scanners every week. I'm down to quick scans once a week, and full scans-with 2 or 3 applications, every 2-3 weeks, unless something behaves strangely.
    Works fine with Avast and Comodo.
    Spyware Blaster is an immuniser, it blocks known blacklisted sites from being browsed. Keep it updated every week or two.
    CCleaner is a very useful tool for getting rid of temporary files, which can definitely be security related. But I think with what you've got, you should be fine, unless you're a bit unlucky, get a zero day exploit, or someone clicks on the wrong link.
    If you are interested in saving system resources, and don't mind losing SAS's contest menu quick-scan ability, configure it not to start with windows, too. (But that right-click shortcut sure is handy at times!)

24. law93

law93 Registered Member

actually....hold up...

when i was searching spyware terminator in google for reviews, theres a mix of opinions. some say it contains spyware/adware, and others say its extremely good. what is the truth?

and about AVG AS, when it becomes the free version, does it still delete spyware as it does with the pro version?

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

AVG AS free does still remove what it detects as with the pro version.the only differance is auto updates and the AVG AS realtime guard.I had the paid version and the only thing the guard did was give me one fp.NOD,Linkscanner,BOClean and a few others always stopped any thing bad before AVG AS did. Not saying AVG AS is not any good because it is but I only use it for on demand scans.Still a good app.Now about Spyware terminator.......I personaly would never use it but many here have and still use and swear by it.Just dont like thier past,maybe i'm judgeing them harshly but i'm just playing it safe.Linkscanner Pros warning on their website.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.