Anti Malwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positive

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I understand people's frustrations and yes this is not acceptable what has happened. As with every computer one should always have a back up.
    Obviously some people were affected more while others none at all. I am one of the lucky ones. I haven't been using MBAM Pro real time for about a month or so due to heavy resource usage. However there has been plenty of times that other reputable companies have caused me trouble. Now the only question remains whether this will ever happen again to MBAM or will they learn from their mistakes. I sincerely hope that this will not break their back, they have remained free and saved my and my friends' butt so many times. I would hate to see them go under over one slip up.

On the bright side, even if millions of systems have been affected, these guys did offer a tool to fix the F$%# up. Give them credit.

2. er34

er34 Guest

I really don't understand you, people.

Nowadays what matters in the big corporate world (bad guys are part of it) is the potential - only the potential matters. If you have potential then you are good to go. If you have the resourses then you are given a pass.

Same applies to vendors and their programs - people care about potential and resourses - if the vendor have the people, potential and resourses to provide the quality service, protection and support.

The product itself is not the top 1 priority.

Malwarebytes as community may have been good and may have saved "your butt", it may be free and cool to have it, it might be good light free utility that finds more things than your typical AV, BUT does this really matter ?!

What matters among the majority of people, among companies is if something really breaks (and things does break - we can see it here in this thread) what can this company offer to fix the issue ASAP and what can this company offer to never allow this HUGE mistake repeat again. So, how fast MBAM fixed the issue - they could have been fast but many were affected. And how many resourses MBAM has to prevent this ever happening ?

But let's not forget that this is NOT the first MBAM false positive case - there are many recent here, there are many others some people (like me) see often. And don't forget the ComboFix virus discovered by ESET - ComboFix is created by sUBs who is officially MBAM employee (as far as we know he works for the MBAM lab?) and ComboFix was huge mistake with the virus in it, now again many others. I still keep an infected copy of ComboFix.
    History shows MBAM has little potential and not resourses at all for QA. Very good program, agressive at cleaning, but company's resourses and QA seems too low. Company must invest in Quality Assurance QA !!!

3. Shadowwar

Shadowwar Spyware Expert

Sub's combofix is not at all related or owned By Malwarebytes. He does this in his free time. So anything that happens with that is his responsibility. He simply works for us and that is the only relationship we have.

We have learned a big lesson from this and have already spent a ton of money revamping our processes, adding hardware and additional steps to prevent this from happening again. The false positive shim server is online and will not let an update go out unless there are no false positives Scanned against all supported operating systems and past false positive files. We are hiring more people for more Departments including QA.

I am not sure er34 where you got past history information from because we always had a QA process in place. This was a total breakdown of that process and something we never realized could of happened.
    But what counts is what we are doing now and Marcin does not want this happening again EVER. He is making sure whatever is needed to prevent it is done.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

If recent history shows anything, it's that forum threads can be ruined by trolling.

"Just before anyone starts thinking this blog is a “Goliath versus David” one where we would like to behead the author of ComboFix, please read on, as this as far from the truth as it can be.
    It would be too easy and really not fair to criticize “sUBs”, the author of ComboFix, who has been providing this useful application for free for many years.
    An error was made, but that was by accident.
    BleepingComputers, upon notification, immediately pulled the infected executables and shortly after that, “sUBs” issued anapology and an explanation.
    " ESET link

"As for the ComboFix team, they solved the issue and I am quite happy with the speed of their response, and the transparency with which it occurred.
    It takes years of experience to come up the types of the policies and procedures to deal with such things, no matter how hypothetical they may seem.
    The people behind ComboFix have been delivering a valuable—and, I might add, uninfected—program to the community free-of-charge for years now, in addition to providing expert guidance in removing all forms of malware.
    I expect that to continue for many years into the future, or as long as there is malware to be fought. Aryeh Goretsky, MVP, ZCSE
    " ESET link

5. silat

silat Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Re: Holly freaking shiat AntiMalwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positiv

Hahahahaha that made my day. :D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

NooB is true man:D :cool: :thumb: lol:)

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I love how everyone bashes MBAM for this. I agree that this shouldnt have happened however, in a corporate environment your doing things wrong.

You should be proactively managing patches and updates and verifying them for release before they are actually released. As an IT person by profession you should NEVER install updates the day they come out and this is exactly why. Lesson learned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.