Anti Malwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positive

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Re: Holly freaking shiat AntiMalwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positiv

that will do the job

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Re: Holly freaking shiat AntiMalwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positiv

This just happened to my father.

What a mess

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I ran a scan with an outdated database and it flagged ~1,000 files :D

I know this occasionally happens to even the best AV companies, but still disappointed it happened at all.

Attached Files:

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

It didn't happen to me, but i'm sure I would have been glad I make regular backups with Shadow Protect to external drives.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I just made a disc image yesterday.:D

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yeah, I hope this does not tarnish MBAM's image too much. They have been the best of the best in the category of malware they target. MBAM is one of the best removal Anti-malware Apps ever created. They specialize in detecting, and removing the malware that most AV's have been weak at detecting such as Rogues.

7. Shadowwar

Shadowwar Spyware Expert

As i said in the other thread:

We are working trying to fix all the damage done from this and also have dev working on some tools to help repair this. We are also going to invest heavily into solutions to prevent this from happening again. Its basically all hands on deck at the moment.

We are taking this very seriously and we hate that it even happened.

8. Tyrizian

@Shadowwar - Thanks for keeping everyone informed :thumb:

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Shadowwar:thumb: :thumb:

10. Tyrizian

I got to give it to Shadowwar, he doesn't have to be here informing us, but he is...I think that's worth something.

Just fix and move on, that's all one can do at this point.

I still support Malwarebytes

11. Shadowwar

Shadowwar Spyware Expert

Thanks and its greatly appreciated the comments. Marcin has already made a public apology on our forums and he is very concerned it even happened. He is overseeing what is needed to resolve all the issues and whatever is needed infratstucture wise to prevent this.

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

FP's are tough to deal with. My sympathies to all affected!

FWIW... since I have been paying attention to all this PC stuff over the last few years, I can't remember any antivirus/anti-malware company that hasn't had at least one incident of FP's. Since humans are involved in the process, things can (and unfortunately do) go wrong, even with the best of intentions.

I'm glad to see MBAM is dealing with it the best that they can.

13. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

That part is true. Much better response than the whole McAfee disaster a few years ago...

14. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I am glad I don't use scanners.:cool:

I like MBAM#1 a lot, I wish them the best. Hopefully they can do something to help users that were affected.

Bo

15. Tyrizian

Hey man, it happens

We all mess up from time to time, that's what makes us human.

Just try to prevent this from happening again lol :)

But I agree, an apology is needed at this point.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Where can I find the details on what systems, versions of windows, etc. are effected? I need to start warning people. I do not see anything obvious on their website.

17. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Its all fine and dandy for the kinda user that frequents sites such as this, but I guess there will be a lot of users who aren't computer savvy who use malwarebytes as they have read or heard somewhere that it's a 'must have' and will be bewildered as to why their set up isn't working:'(

18. Shadowwar

Shadowwar Spyware Expert

Yes we are trying to get a hard number together on how many downloads occured of the affected database so we know what and how many occurences happened. Database was only out for less than 15 mins so if realtime updates were set and you were in the window its does the realtime update then you were affected. Because this was mainly an engine issue not ignoring a bad line it was hitting files on all oses.

19. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Great Help here for XP users!!
    thank you Beck

20. Boost

Boost Registered Member

This is just ANOTHER reason why I dont run security apps like this scenario.

I use only on demand scanners,period.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very true jerry:thumb:

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Fixed everything. Had to add a couple of Dll to the system folder. Other than that Chkdsk fixed everything else.

23. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Did a quick system restore also and everything seems normal.

24. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Is it safe to run an update and scan now with MBAM?

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes it is. The offending update was only out there for 15 min apparently before it was replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.