Anti-Malware Test Lab - Testing of proactive antivirus protection II

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Thankful, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Most of them are not patchers, but pre-patched/modified executables that you have to either doubleclick or they are DLL loaders that work along original executable.
    These can be just as harmful(or harmless) as weapons. If you don't shoot anyone, no harm is done. But thats my point of view.
    Especially for personal usage.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

If a user has legally purchased a game and doesnt want to damage the cd no cd patches are acceptable imo.
    My sister put in the cd for the sims 2 in the drive so much that is cracked down the middle so it couldnt be used anymore.

im sure certain companies naming no names would fix the fp very quickly.
    not all cd patches contain malware. its just like anything you just go to the right sourses which produce safe files so that the users discs dont get damaged.

surely you just want to detect malware rather than detecting harmless no cd patches?

other antivirus companies manage that so why cant you?

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ok, im a pretty heavy gamer, i play quite often and use No-Cd patches for most of my game simply because im too lazy to find the CD out of all the CD's i have :D and tbh, no joke, i havent had Avira detect a single one of them, maybe its bad luck, or the person who created the patch did it in a poor and/or different way that makes the patched .exe get detected.

and im still perfectly fine if Avira does detect the no CD .exe that i use to launch my game, its as simple as going into exclusions, adding it and DONE, takes maybe half a minute, i dont see why thers a need to complain about it, so what if other companies dont detect them, im not gunna stop using Avira just cuz of this TINY detail, it really isnt a big enough issue to make all this fuss about...

4. matt231

matt231 Registered Member

The thing that test doesn't take into account with Sophos is that it is a corporate program designed for the corporate world only.

The 'false positives' in fact are suspicious files that many a sysadmin would want to know about. This detection can be turned off in the on access scanner options however it isn't recommended.

Thus I think it's not a fair test because they tried to compare a corporate product with a consumer product and as everyone knows most consumer and corporate products couldn't be more different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.