anti-malware programs, comparison between American and European manufacturers

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

When I read about anti-malware software, mostly about antispyware applications, to a lesser extent antivirus software, it's almost always software from American manufacturers.

On this forum some European security programs have been mentioned.

I've been thinking, is there any significant difference in performance, depending on country/continent/culture of the manufacturer ?

I'm approaching this from a Windows XP Home Edition perspective (not enterprise).

(I myself stay away from file/movie sharing sites, they tend to swarm with spyware. Maybe this is also a relevant aspect.)

Of course, there is also Kaspersky from Russia, and there may even be some African vendors :)

Any thoughts ?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use vendors from the US, Australia, China, and Iceland. All these folks know Windows, and I don't think quality and performance ties to nationality of origin.

3. Henk1956

Henk1956 Registered Member

To which "almost always software from American manufacturers" would you like to compare:

DefenseWall from Russian Federation
    GeSWall from Luxembourg
    Online Armor from Australia
    Returnil from Latvia
    SafeSpace from UK
    Spyware Doctor (PC Tools) from Australia
    Kaspersky from Russia

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't care about the origin of a software, even the name of the software doesn't tell me anything. I look at the GUI, features, possibilities, etc. and above all the shortcomings and it has to be malware-free of course. Bug-free is impossible, that's why all software sucks, but some suck more than others. I'm always surprised that a software seems to do its job properly, especially anti-malware software.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Made in US or Europe does not make any significant sense any more. Why?

When you refer an app is from country A is probably based on at where(country) its corporate head office is located. For example, McAfee, is headquartered in US, but it has research networks spread around the Globe. Each of its final products are made possible by an army of intelligent brains from all over the world. Can you still label it as an app from an American manufacturer?

The nationality of quality product no longer plays an important role in users' minds. It is the true value and unique quality that count.

Take care.

6. zaxxon

zaxxon Registered Member

+ Norman = Norway, F-Secure = Finland, VBA32 = Belarus

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

There is one interesting thing here. The largest software market is the USA. And, if you take a look at the most biggest security companies- they all are from the USA. I thought a lot "why so" until I tried to get any press attenation to DefenseWall. And I understood one thing here: local manufactute always have a bigger press attention. That is why there are a lot of non-USA software in the world, but the USA press almost always writes about USA-based companies and software and really seldom- about non-USA ones.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree the biggest security companies are here, but not always the best.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Well, the scheme is following: they make a product with no quality, sell it with all the power of USA press PR and, with all the money they earned with it, they just buy the best product/developers at the market available and makes some good product next version.

10. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Many Americans are unaware there are other countries in the world!:D

Many can't point to their own country on a map of the world.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A pretty myopic look at the world isn't it.:thumbd:

12. Ilya Rabinovich

That was not the point. My point was that little know of other-world software companies comes from USA press behaviour.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

In a real business world, the best selling product is not always be of top quality. There are many other ingredients required to make a product to be a top one, although quality is the foremost , not the sole one.

A top quality product is often incubated in small scale operation, then it will face up-hill battle to get itself marketed properly and efficiently.

Standing alone sometimes is not the best business plan, cooperation with larger house sometimes, perhaps more than often, can solve that critical bottle-neck.

American software providers are power houses in that regard. That is the fact for now.

14. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

Our, Spyware Terminator, development is in the Czech Republic.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The products I use come from all over the world - and I can't honestly tell where, most are open-source, developed by international thousands.

But I must say that Czechs and Germans make pretty dandy stuff.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.