Anti-malware (HIPS, sandbox, etc...) for 64-bits Windows 7/Vista ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ola nordmann, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Hi,

After going 64-bits, mainly because of heavy RAM upgrades, I feel there is a sort of vacuum in the selection of security apps available. Sure, there's lots of AV programs out there, but I miss things like:

-HIPS
    -Sandbox (Sandboxie, DefenceWall...)
    -Virtualization of system partition (Returnil, ShadowDefender, SteadyState...)

So, anyone know of a list of 64-bits compatible security apps for Vista/7? Or maybe we could start one right here :)

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

You could use LUA.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

As the user Someone mentioned, you could use LUA (Limited User Account) and SRP (Software Restriction Policies).

If you're using Windows Vista Home editions, then you could follow this thread over here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=232857

Agnitum has a free version of Outpost firewall, which includes HIPS, and it works for 64-bit. You could disable the firewall part, if it would be possible. I tested it before, but forgot if it is or not possible to disabled only the firewall. :D

http://free.agnitum.com/

AVG also has a pure behavior analyzer (http://www.avg.com/product-avg-identity-protection). It works on 64-bit. It's a paid product. You may test it freely for 15 days.

But, considering you're using a 64-bit Windows Vista, if you use it under LUA and apply SRP, then you've got a very solid protection.

I'm sure others will give their opinions as well, and you may form an information option with all suggestions and advices.

Regards

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

ZoneAlarm ForceField is a 64bit sandbox.
    Also I think, the new Kaspersky 2010 range has 64bit compatible HIPS and Sandbox.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I forgot to mention there's also Prevx.

6. arran

arran Registered Member

Does Kaspersky come with a Sandbox now? has anyone here tested its sandbox yet? seems Kaspersky is moving up in the world.

7. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Thanks for all the advices!

I know about the LUA-approach, especially since I am a long time user of Linux/Unix, where one newer uses the root (admin) account for day-to-day activities ;)

But there are situations where LUA doesn't help, like when installing new software that requires full admin priviliges. That's just one of the many examples where HIPS/sandbox comes in handy.

BTW, the new sandbox in Kaspersky 2010, is it a general purpose sandbox like Sandboxie, or just some kind of browser-protection like Forcefield?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.