Anti-Keylogger

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MamaG, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamaG

MamaG Registered Member

What is the best anti-keylogger out there for use with Vista?

My ex came to see the kids yesterday and my eldest said that the ex was messing with my computer. I fear he may have installed a keylogger. There's a restraining order in place because of his crazy antics in the past, so I hope this explains my paranoia.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Detection of an already installed keylogger can be difficult...and there is no 'best'. One approach is to run a raft of anti-spyware/malware scanners. A2 Free might be a good place to start. I think I recall Spyware Doctor was quite good at keylogger detection as well. Other scanners deliberately don't detect commercial keyloggers.

I'm sure others on here will chip in with advice as well, but ultimately you could run every scanner available and draw a blank....but there is still a keylogger installed.

3. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

I would just install KeyScrambler..It wont detect the keylogger but it will make it so it can not record the keystrokes

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

You don't know that will work. What if the malware is a screen grabber or clipboard logger? Or what if the application being targeted is not one protected by Keyscrambler?

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

MamaG, be aware that your ex may have installed a hardware keylogger, which is undetectable via software programs. The upside of that is they are oftentimes easily detected visually. Just look at the back of your box for anything installed inline between your keyboard and the computer... but be aware that hardware keyloggers can be installed internally in the keyboard, for instance. I recommend Googling "hardware keylogger" for more info, but here is a generic image of what to look for. Good luck.

6. Warklen

Very true. I didnt even think about screen grabbers or clipboard loggers since she only asked about keyloggers, but i do agree KeyScrambler would be useless if the app being targeted is not protected by KeyScrambler. My Bad!

7. MamaG

MamaG Registered Member

Thank you all for your input thus far.

I have done a visual inspection of my tower and the line to my keyboard and mouse. There are no new devices installed so I believe a hardware keylogger can be ruled out.

I downloaded KeyScrambler and do feel a bit safer, however, I'm still a bit wary due to the fact that screen shots are still possible. Any other suggestions as to what I can do to block these transmissions if, in fact, they do exist?

I do have a question with regard to the Spyware Doctor and A2Free software. I run manually both Adaware Pro and Spybot S&D, along with AVG realtime. Will either/both of those programs conflict with my existing software?

I'm trying to grasp all of the capabilities of keyloggers now. My head hurts lol.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate all of your help!

8. Warklen

Hi MamaG. Dont know if you have or not but you should have a look at this page. http://www.qfxsoftware.com/products.htm#IE It will let you know what apps are protected by KeyScrambler Free and Pro. As for A2Free it does not run in realtime only ondemand so I dont think you'll have a problem with it. Spyware Doctor I can not comment on since I do not use it. I would also run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. They are also ondemand scanners.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Unless they have altered their respective company positions, SAS and MBAM do not protect against commercial monitoring software programs. Malware keyloggers are a different story.

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

11. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

+1:thumb:

12. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

13. MamaG

MamaG Registered Member

Wow... thank you everyone for taking the time to respond! Time is precious, so I do appreciate you spending a few minutes on my behalf.

After reading up on all of the suggestions, I think I've narrowed my choices to Prevx and/or Zemana. Now I'm in a quandary. Prevx has been thoroughly tested and has raving reviews whereas Zemana has not. Zemana, however, protects against screen images.

Has anyone used Zemana? If so, what was your experience with the product?

Once again, thank you :)

G

14. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I would do this:

- visually inspect your keyboard and PC to locate possible hardware keylogger (already done as you say)

- use KeyScrambler to circumvent keystroke recording by a possibly installed software keylogger

- get SpyReveal which has the broadest commercial spy surveillance software database and can disable all comercial software keyloggers, scan all drives

- get a proactive anti-keylogger like Zemana Antilogger or PrivacyKeyboard

15. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

16. Someone

Someone Registered Member

17. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.