Anti-Hook-Problems.

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Badcompany, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Forum,
    Download A/H, but kept receiving pop-ups from Dr.Web. A/H is infected with ( Muldrop Trojan.) And them the Blue Screen of death.Anyone else had these problems with A/H.
    Badcompany.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's a false-positive...

AntiHook is a clean program.

3. Badcompany

Hi VC,
    Do you know what could coarsed the blue screen.Is there something I have to change, or can it be used with all default setting.
    BC.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't know...

But I already saw that you posted about that on AH forum, so maybe they can reply you with some help... ;)

5. Badcompany

Thanks , I will wait and see.
    BC.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I had a problem too after installing AntiHook Free
    Prevx1 considers the file "antihookgui.dll" as a malware and my computer wasn't working properly anymore, it was frozen, start-button, icons didn't work anymore. I restored an image backup file to solve the problem. :)

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It is a false-positive as you know...

So, now you also use a signature based program like PrevX? ;)

8. ErikAlbert

I had no other choice, Prevx1 prevents the installation of malwares and that is more important than removal of malwares. What isn't installed doesn't need to be detected/removed and any real-time shield of ONE scanner is too weak compared with Prevx1.

My frozen snapshot removes malwares, if they bypass Prevx1 or LnS.
    There isn't much choice in CIPS-softwares and HIPS is too difficult.
    While Prevx1 is protecting my computer, I get more time to learn HIPS.

Any security software that stops the installation or stops the execution of malwares is welcome in my frozen snapshot, because the removal isn't a problem anymore.

CIPS without blacklists doesn't exist afaik, otherwise I would have choosed that one. Considering all these things, it was a logical decision to take Prevx1.
    Sometimes I have to lower my standards, if I can't find what I really want. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that with an anti-malware you are now better protected than before... :)

10. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

I think we should welcome Erikalbert to the evil and vile club of blacklist worshippers...

:D

11. ErikAlbert

Don't blame me, blame the security industry, that creates nothing but insecure and incomplete security softwares. Some of them are even "dangerous" to use, just like malwares. :rolleyes:

12. poirot

poirot Registered Member

It happened a similar thing to me as well,ErikAlbert.
    I have a P3, 1000MHZ, 256RAM pc where i have the same programs running as in my other P4,3400MHZ,1024RAM notebook :
    Antihook (twice,with 2.5 and 2.6 builds) installed smoothly and perfectly in my less powerful pc,and still works fine at this very moment,in spite of my using it for all kind of things, whereas i have had only sorrow when attempting to install Antihook 2.6 in my HP notebook. Problems range from failed first install,no systray icon; at second -successfull- install i ran the program for a couple of days in learning mode doing anything i could conceive of,but when i reverted to Normal Mode it lasted only a few hours before BSODS and loss of audio etc. so i had no other option than using like you did an image (Acronis in my case) which i had cautiously made before install.
    I couldnt find a reason for this behaviour of my notebook so i stubbornly tried again a third time, this time i adopted all the good old rules from W98 .95 times and disabled possibly harmful-kernel level working programs like Boclean, UnhackMe and also Webshield of Avast,and Network shield,too, while i had already disabled Process Attack in Jetico- install was successfull,but ,again, problems emerged even before while on learning mode with Warnings from Windows File Protection (i went to My computer-file Protection and enabled all my security programs including Antihook,but to no avail) which left me no other option than pushing the button for 4 seconds to shut down as nothing worked anymore.....after a second image in a week i gave up and didnt try anymore, felt very dejected because i like the way antihook works and it was the final touch on my security progs, but quite simply it will not absolutely work in my notebook (which is my main computer)!
    Let's hope Antihook 3.0 does the trick, if i'll be alive when it comes out.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  13. ErikAlbert

Poirot,
    Thanks for sharing your bad experiences with AntiHook (AH), so I'm not the only one.
    You had certainly more patience with AH than me and most probably more knowledge too in trying to find out what the real reason was.
    A software that acts like this from the beginning on my computer, has no chance on my computer. I ditched AH immediately and didn't try it again after restoring my image.

So I keep on searching for softwares that stop the installation OR execution of malwares. :)

14. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

you can test this, 3.0 is out now :)

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Antihook website has the info quoted below re version 3.0. Sadly, the info is mainly advertisement rather than a list of the actual changes incorporated in 3.0. Too bad. Even so, I continue to closely monitor this security app, & devoutly hope that users will share experiences, good & bad, in using it.

It seems evident to me that the proponents of AH are deadly serious about staying at the bleeding edge of HIPS technology. Giving up on them because of prior bad experiences would be *shooting oneself in one's foot* -- In my OPINION, AH has too much promise for us to do that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.