Anti-Executable & Sandboxie - Is it enough?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tyrizian, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I wanted to get the community opinion on this. Do you think using an Anti-Executable program running with Sandboxie is enough protection?

I am thinking about going AV free for my real-time, and am just curious if this is a good solution or not.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Enough.Hell Yea.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Depending on whether we're talking free or paid version of Sandboxie here, you may not even need an anti-executable (which, quite frankly are a pain in my behind). Sandboxie can be configured to only run exactly what you tell it to, and everything you may need to run will likely run within Sandboxie. I don't get the occasional "AV-free" fascination that crops up from time to time really. Sure, AVs are no longer rock-solid security solutions (if they ever were), but unless you have some sort of detection method in place, you're just making things riskier.

Not every file size can be uploaded to a web-based virus scanner, and who is to say the results you get back will be accurate anyway (which, of course, can be an issue with AV software installed too.) ? The internet may not be the massive minefield that many like to believe, but we're still long past the days where there are "good and bad" sites.

4. Dark Shadow

Actually there is nothing painfull about faronics AE,it whitelist whats on your system upon setup and there after quiet as a mouse.There is no pop ups at all unless installing and then depending on application being installed,there maybe as litte as one prompt or a few. There is also a enable temporary excecution mode of any file being executed with out the prompts, but will still continue to block any file on the blocked execution control list.

I have AE installed on my eleven year old son netbook and he can play his games make youtube videos etc with out any prompts or distraction of any kind.If something tries to execute will be the only time AE is heard from and then it's password required to allow it ,hence the excutable will not be allowed to run otherwise.

5. Tyrizian

I have NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro paid lifetime and Sandboxie paid lifetime, So I was thinking about just running those two together. I am on a 64-Bit environment, and am waiting for EXE Radar Pro to release their 64-Bit build before I make the switch. It should be sometime this month when they go full 64, At least from what the dev told me. I will have a command line virus scanner attached to EXE Radar Pro, as well as my on demand scanners. Both work really well, and as far as the tests I did...nothing got through.

I have just been so use to running a Real-Time AV all these years, it's kind of weird even thinking about not using it anymore. Even though my tests for Sandboxie and EXE Radar Pro did amazingly well, I still get that feeling of doubt...I dunno, maybe it's because I am use to using Real-Time AV.

6. Dark Shadow

I thought EXE Radar Had some malware file protection built no.

7. Tyrizian

Yeah it does, It has Malware file protection built in, as well as an option for extra protection....Being able to use a command line AV to compliment it.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I know its enough, I have been running SBIE on its own since Dec 2010 and nothing that smells like malware has come my way. Exe radar free works great with SBIE, so either way, SBIE alone or along Exe radar, you should be fine.
    The free version does not have anything like that, the paid version has some kind of scanner.

Bo

9. Tyrizian

And I have both paid versions...Which in turn I guess is more beneficial. So you think that is a better combo than what I am using now? Security Specs are in my sig.

10. bo elam

That depends on how you feel. Personally, I feel safer and better using SBIE on its own or along Exe radar free than using an AV. IMO, don't drop the AV if you don't feel as I do, your reply#5 kind of tells me that you should use an AV real time. If I was you, I would keep using Avast along SBIE, as you are doing now.

Bo

11. Tyrizian

I just think I am too use to having one, but I am a person that can easily get use to new thing's. So if I were to drop it, It might bother me for the first couple of weeks, then I would start feeling more at ease. I guess the only way to find out, is just to jump in and do it.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  12. bo elam

When I dropped using real time AV, I did not blink......for one second ;), I made the decision to stop using it right on the spot. No thinking, no planning, it just happened when MSE2 came out, I got disgusted with it, uninstalled it and did not look for a replacement. Stopping using one, felt like nothing.

Bo

13. Tyrizian

What do you use to scan your system for viruses (Standalone programs)? That is if you do or not.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

more than enough.....just throw in some on-demand scanners, secunia psi and an imaging software......and you got a steller protection......

15. bo elam

At the moment, I don't have any scanners installed but sometimes I fire up Wondershare TimeFreeze and install something like, Eset on line scanner, HMP or whatever I like to try and run a scan. They never find nothing. Ever since I installed SBIE a little over 3 years ago, malware does not come near.

What I do is very simple, I just run everything sandboxed, I don't care what it is. Using SBIE on its own, works great, no worries about malware or updates/upgrades by the AV that might go wrong, like it has happened to everybody at one point or another. For me, not having to deal with those updates is the main benefit that I get out of not using scanners. My stress level is about 1, if I was using a scanner, it would be about 6. Bottom line, I feel safer and better by not using them, the question that only you can answer is, How do you feel ?

Bo

16. Tyrizian

I have the On-Demand scanners, I have Secunia PSI (In my sig). I also have an imaging software that I like.

17. Tyrizian

I am just going to go for it, That is how people start off with something anyways, because they just went for it. I think I feel good about it. I am going to use avast! for the time being, at least until EXE Radar Pro goes 64-bit.

You also helped me, I appreciate that.

18. bo elam

Whatever you do, just make sure you keep SBIE, the rest is there only for the ride.

Bo

19. Tyrizian

I have grown to like Sandboxie too much, so I don't think I'll ever have that one excluded from my setup.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I agree 100%

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

what imaging software do you want?.....

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

very good thinking :thumb:

23. guest

guest Guest

why even run Sandboxie though it is a good program
    i just have a clean image and run a behavior blocker Mamutu
    any problems just re-image drive
    no bad-ies have ever gotten past this set up

24. Tyrizian

I have been using Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity), which recently came out of beta.

25. Tyrizian

What are your thoughts on running EXE Radar Pro and Sandboxie, but with a SUA and UAC?

I am currently running as admin only, I know there is quite a fuss about not using a SUA here at the forums. But, Before anyone says anything bad about me running admin only, let me assure you that I have been looking into SUA + UAC and it's benefits, so please don't assume I am an idiot user for running admin only. Just putting that out there, just in case someone wants to bash me for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.