Another thread asking what else do I need

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hjbyram, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I have seen some other threads asking what products one needs to protect their PCs these days, but wondered if you all could make some suggestions based on this:

I just installed an Actiontec Wireless DSL Modem/Router that uses an NAT firewall - I have Verizon DSL.
    Since the Look'N'Stop firewall and the Actiontec were not compatible, I had to uninstall LNS.
    I also use Nod32 AV.
    I'm running Windows XP SP2, all updates are current, and after uninstalling LNS, I activated the Windows XP firewall again.

I'm a conservative internet user, but I sure get spam. Verizon filters a lot, but a lot still comes through. I'm not familiar enough with Actiontec to necessary expect their NAT firewall to do the trick all the time.

I am considering Online Armor?
    Thanks!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

are u asking for a spam filter or...?

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Look ‘n’ Stop is compatible with all Modems/Routers, not sure if I can explain it any better than before.

Internet > Modem/Router > Network Adapter – PC Software Firewall

If your Modem/Router is actually at fault for responding to unsolicited PING packets, as many routers devices are known to respond to WAN PINGs by default configuration, this is no fault of any software firewall you have installed. It is the Router hardware that receives the incoming aka inbound packets before being finally delivered to your PC for the software firewall to handle, detect and drop these packets.

Installing of the Actiontec software could have connected to your Modem/Router and made some setting changes, but if you want to properly re-test Look ‘n’ Stop, make sure that you uninstall all other third-party software firewalls installed…

4. hjbyram

Hi Phant0m -it's not just the Ping thing. It was also incredibly slow FTP, inability to pull-up certain websites, inability to sign in to Webmail or even my Verizon online account, inability to even post to Forums, etc. With LNS removed, all of this has cleared up.

Prior to installing LNS I did remove Norton. Perhaps now that I have things working again, I should try reinstalling LNS & see how it goes.

5. hjbyram

Hi WSFuser -
    Yes additional Spam filter -also any recommendations for other security software. I'm not comfortable relying strictly on the NAT firewall on the router/modem.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can use Thunderbird for receiving email. its included spam filter is pretty good.

if u want a standalone utility, ive read good things about K9.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well online armor is good and the kernel mode version 2 is coming out soon itr will have a firewall as well in version 2.
    www.tallemu.com

8. Phant0m

Yes those symptoms would be caused by Look ‘n’ Stop, oddly though, Look ‘n’ Stop EnhancedRulesSet.rls Ruleset file (UNALTERED?, UNTOUCHED?) should have worked by default, regardless I have asked in your previous topic for the Look ‘n’ Stop logfile, you didn’t compute which made things much more understandable difficult for helping you efficiently.

And just my opinion but, if you were to ask for help, you should try to do what is asked of you, if you want things to go along smoothly and efficiently as possible…

When you want to try again, try the Look ‘n’ Stop product, post in your old topic and I’ll be there.

Regards,

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i am sure at one point there was some filtering rules you could download from the look n stop firewall site that made it compatible with routers but i cant seem to find it atm.
    lodore

10. Phant0m

Hi lodore

Are you using a Wireless Router? If so, do you see type ETH packets being logged on the Look 'n' Stop 'Log' screen?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont use look n stop i was just saying that a while ago when i was thinking of getting look n stop i saw a internet filtering plug in for routers on the look n stop website.
    but i looked through the pluins today for you but cant seem to find it now.
    lodore

12. Phant0m

You are mistaken; there is no Look ‘n’ Stop plugin for Routers, however I bet you are in reference to the Look ‘n’ Stop plugin PluginEditRawRule. This plugin is for creating superior rules based on anything in a packet header.

If you were using a Wireless Router with WPA security activated, you would normally be needing this wifi rule - http://www.looknstop.com/En/rules/rules.htm#wifi.

However for standard Router with 4-port switch to directly connect up-to four computers through wires, a special rule isn’t needed. :p

13. hjbyram

Hi Phant0m - you are correct, I never did send the requested log & I sincerely apologize for not doing so. Interestingly, when I uninstalled LNS, all logs but 2 were also removed.
    One of the 2 logs does have the ICMP nukes display that was a constant problem - it explictly displays my router IP & PC IP addresses.

If I try to reinstall, I'm thinking I should start over, fresh, with the rules.

Thanks - H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.