another test:)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thanks LoneWolf, if it's been around that long and no one is flagging it then it's probably legit.

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Spyware Detector seems to be an app that has the ability to detect and clean infection's. The problem is that it is horrendously heavy on FP's. Opinion suggests it uses FP's to get you to purchase it, but it could also just be that the app is not very refined and produces FP's as well as legit detection's. It's not on Spyware Warriors list of Rogue's. but it was at one time and then delisted in 2006. http://www.spywarewarrior.com/de-listed.htm

Others findings:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2007/dec/20/isspywaredetectoralegitima
    ~please don't link to the possible rogues - LWM~: Max-Spyware-Detector
    http://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/max_spyware_detector.shtml

muf

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

A little info on Spyware Detector........

http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=339

5. muf

muf Registered Member

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Well opinion appears to be split. Even within the Anti-malware fraternity!!!

Flip a two headed coin on this one and say "Heads I won't install it".

muf

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

It would probably be far easier and quicker to draw up a whitelisted apps list with anything dubious left out as well?

8. muf

muf Registered Member

Yes Flanklin. With so many rogue's springing up all over the show, a whitelist would be much easier to maintain. Adding and removing apps from the whitelist would be easier than trying to add and de-list rogue's.

muf

9. muf

muf Registered Member

This thread reminds me that when a truely legit application is released(discovered) that the anti-malware users always scream "foul" before giving them a chance. Even after many tests and assurances from 'experts' we as users still lean towards the suspicious side, attempting to discredit the authenticity of said application. This occured with both Spy Sweeper and SuperAntiSpyware. The hours I spent trying to persuade 'experts' and users that these application's were legit was ridiculous. I really don't know if I'll have the patience or energy when the next one comes along that everyone is crying wolf over.

muf

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go back and edit my earlier post and remove the spyware fighter screenshot. :)

The thing with those applications that are borderline 'rogue', you'd have to go even further and find out, if they aren't packaged with a trojan, and they are nothing but fancy buttons and the application completely does not do what it says, that is - it doesn't work and is just a gimmick, is it a deceitful product. Does that mean it is still a con?

For example, I could create a product called 'trojan smasher', looks slick, but the signature database is never updated, and has never been updated. It can't remove a cookie. If I'm charging people $29.95 a year, should I be shut down as a fraudulent product?

If you are selling computers from a local storefront, and consumers find they won't turn on even though you say they work, you'd be shutdown. Are programs exempt from meeting a minimum expectation? I'm guessing they must be.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  11. muf

muf Registered Member

It's not fraud, but it would, over a period of time become inefficient at malware removal. There are plenty of applicaton's out there that are still for sale but have not been updated in a long time. The thing that users have to do is properly evaluate a product before shelling out their hard earned cash. Users need to look at reviews and find out what other users of the application think of it. It doesn't take long to do a bit of 'Googling' to obtain a reasonable opinion of a product. It's just some users are lazy or naive and believe what they're told. People take an eternity to choose a car, but pay out for an application at the drop of a hat!

muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.