another test:)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for info:thumb:

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

These look like a scam...

Another google sponsored link, which has other links:
    malwareexposed.jpg

These are presented the same way as the other sites we've tested.

nuker.jpg

3. Saraceno

Nothing has picked this one up on VT. Anyone able to test 'nuker'?

Seems shifty to have an affiliate program paying big money to push this.

nuker - display.jpg
    affiliate.jpg

4. Saraceno

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this spyware nuker must be very fresh one i will test it like after lunch;) againts A2;)

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

In jotti's Norman labels it as "Fake AV".

7. Saraceno

Just scanning with a-squared free now. Still scanning but seems to pick it up.
    Scanning windows files will take a little longer.

jmonge, can you run a full scan? I just did a program files scan, and deleted the objects, but didn't seem to remove it from actively running. Right now, I better get some sleep.

nuker - a-squared.jpg

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sure i will do that :thumb: full spyware nuker scan

9. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Isn't encrypting proper way for quarantine file?

I heard lots of people who tries to assemble new AS/AV targeted to be a malware from popular AVs, so it cant even start to evolve, are you people sure every app. you tried here is rogue?
    Does every one of it produce many FPs?
    Can it be removed with regular uninstall procedure?
    does it download suspicious files from net.... etc. etc.

10. Einsturzende

This is very similar way prevx behave in trial, only prevx allow you to infect yourself and have many FPs ;)
    Is it prevx rogue o_O

11. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

No, and most antivirus companies have the policy of not removing malware in the trial version :)

If you're looking to have a successful company, you have to make money to support the development and future research, etc. So, either you can offer cleanup for free and give the users no reason to buy the product and then the company will go bankrupt or you can use a model like ours ;)

Granted, with our model, we let you scan and detect as much as you want - you can go clean up with another solution, but most users use ours as it is easy to use.

12. Einsturzende

Name one, please

13. PrevxHelp

I don't use other AVs so I'm not familiar with them, but quick googling returned:

"Freeonline Scan (Scan only, No Removal Feature)
    1. Kaspersky (website link)
    2. McAfee (website link)
    3. Symantec (website link)"

There is a big difference between a trial version and a free scan - CSI and Edge provide free scanning: that is, you can use them for as long as you want, as many times as you want. AVs which have a 30 day trial version are only useful for those 30 days, then never useful again.

Imagine being on the verge of buying an AV but having it expire before you could make the decision. You will never be able to try it again after those 30 days. With our model, we let users use our products as much as they want, for as long as they want. If they choose to purchase it, then they will receive the added functionality. If not, they can continue to use it as a free scan.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Most testing by users here is performed on a VM with nothing other than a fresh install of Windows on it,therefore any 'malware' detected is either fictional or a FP with the potential to cause damage to a system,meaning the product is either a rogue or crap.;)

15. Einsturzende

please :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    I think prevx is at fine border to be rogue software, of course not if "you" add full functionality at trialing period, there is too many FPs to solve too...
    FP can be exception, not a common rule...

16. PrevxHelp

Well, think what you may, but our false positive rate is far less than even 0.001% and a rogue generally finds hundreds of infections on a system. What FPs have you actually encountered which we haven't solved within minutes/hours?

I also don't see many rogue software vendors giving official support in the evening on a weekend ;)

17. Einsturzende

crap and rogue is very different thing and should be strictly distinguished, some software at "their beginning" can be very crappy

18. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Well in the case of FPs on a virgin Windows they could well trash the system,so either way the product should be avoided.But these rogues are usually easy enough to spot since they give detections of specific malware that couldn't possibly be on the system rather than generic FPs.

19. Einsturzende

So why even bother to install "your" software, I will call "you" at every double click I made on 0days soft ...:rolleyes:

20. Einsturzende

off course, but not call it rogue...
    reputation of crappy and rogue are two different things

I agree

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

in the 30 days trial they gave me it removes a malware the other vendors couldn't,so one can take advantage to remove malware.(for 30 days for free)
    note:it was beta testing trial with full cleaning/removal of malware;)

22. PrevxHelp

Sorry, I'm sure I understand what you mean - we have 0day protection for malware which can sometimes cause a false positive if you use extremely unpopular software or brand new beta versions of software, but you can configure the heuristic sensitivity by clicking Edge Settings > Heuristics Settings.

Our rules are tuned for the average user, who doesn't know what the word Beta means unless they've been in a fraternity ;)

23. Saraceno

These rogue products are harming your system, infecting your system with rootkits and browser hijackers. They're calling home straight away too, stealing who knows what information. They bog down your system, and there's no support, no valid email or anything if you want help. And your credit card information is being abused, who knows how many times.

The Prevx Edge tool, in evaluation/trial mode, isn't harming your system, nor is it infecting it. It scans your system against a million plus threats, it's as light as a feather, and support, they'll spend time (for me every email is returned, remote assistance is A+) trying to solve any problems you might encounter.

Rogue: harmful, installs spyware, no valid scan, cripples your system, no support, charge your credit card infinite times and every customer is upset. :thumbd:

Prevx: safe, up-to-date scan, light as a feather, full support even in trial mode, and many, many happy customers. :thumb:

Now lets get back to some testing... :p

24. Saraceno

Just one thing about the prevx trial, using my brother as an example, getting him to use any security product has been difficult. He runs nothing.

You can scan his system with every tool afterwards, and find not a tracking cookie. He only visits a few regular sites, uses firefox, and doesn't download any programs.

I've finally convinced him to try out prevx edge. He hasn't yet, but all he wants is something light and fast, and he wants to know what it's doing.

So I'm thinking, if he uses prevx edge in evaluation, and no alerts are given, all his well. If it does throw up an alert, he can google that alert, to see if it really is a threat. And if it is, he'll see the value in the product. He can choose to use prevx edge, or another product (paid, or free) to remove it.

25. Einsturzende

o_O allowing malware to infect system by software which can detect and block it instantly is rogue behavior, You install software in trial mode and expect to keep your PC clean in that time, after trial is over you can decide do you wanna or not to paid for it...
    What should one do after his credit card number go away, You can clean it till kingdom come but you can not turn your credit card number back...

Please once again, Full functional while in trialing mode 30, 15, 7 or one day anything other is rude and user asset offending and I will say rogue and not touching it nor recommending it
    (full functional trial license on prevx home page for everyone who wanna try it, not in my PM inbox please)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.