Another "solution" to "Cannot assign drive letter"....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marco.boltz, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marco.boltz

marco.boltz Registered Member

Hi,

I also had the problem not being able to assign a drive letter to an image made with TI 8.0. The image I was trying to mount was a rather huge one: something like 270 GB split into chunks of 700 MB. Smaller images didn't cause this problem.
    I recently upgraded my system memory from 512 MB to 2048 MB and suddenly I had no problem mounting this particular image anymore.

Maybe someone from you Acronis guys posting in this forum can tell me if there's certain relation between image size and memory size. And if there is, a good style to make support easier would be to integrate some more detailed error messages. Something like "Not enough system memory..." comes to mind, instead of "Cannot assign drive letter". ;)

Regards,
    Marco

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marco,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Actually, there should not be any problems related to the size of the memory.

However, could you please provide me with some more information?

- Where do you store your image?

- As I have understood the size if the image is 270 GB and it is split into the 700 MB pieces. Is it correct?

- What is the content of that image? I mean what kinds of partitions are included?

- Please also tell me if you have reinstalled the application or installed any updates (latest build);

- Have you made any other changes to your software\hardware configuration, except the memory upgrade?

- What exactly do you mean by upgrade? Have you completely changed your memory modules or just added some new ones?

- What operating system you use?

Please also run "regedit" command and let us know the data lines of the below registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. marco.boltz

marco.boltz Registered Member

Hi,

alright here goes.

External USB harddrive.

yes

one primary partition, NTFS, on a RAID-0 S-ATA volume

It's a pretty fresh install, TI 8.0 (build 933)

nope

I read a thread about trying to exchange flaky memory due to corrupt images. I had those (by the way with Drive Image too). So I ran MemTest (booting from a disk) and there it was - memory errors. So I found out which one of my two 512 MB DDRs was the bad one and removed it. Suddenly I was able to create valid images again. But I couldn't mount them (see above problem in my original posting). Yet another image from another partition I could mount - a much smaller one of only 30 GB size. After re-installing a new 512 MB DDR (plus an upgrade of 2 more 512 MB RAM chips which I bought at the occasion) I suddenly could mount the same image TI refused to mount and assign a drive letter to when I still had only 512 MB of memory.

Win2000 SP 4

When looking for a solution to my problem I read about this too and also check it. Dead end. But alright...

PartMgr Diskperf snapman

snapman timounter

Regards,
    Marco

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marco,

Thank you very much for all the provided information.

Well, it's still really hard to figure out what caused the problem, since everything works fine at the moment.

However, could you please temporarily unplug some of the memory modules decreasing the amount of RAM back to 512 MB? Try to mount an image then and inform me about the results.

Please also tell me when exactly you have installed the latest build of Acronis True Image 8.0 (I believe that it was 937 rather then 933 :))? I'm asking this because the reinstallation of the program or installation of the latest build can solve this sort of problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. chrigiboy

chrigiboy Registered Member

hello everybody.
    I've got the same problem. But i've got the problem since i activated the Acronis Secure Zone. Now i've got a fully systemimage with all Systemdrives (NTFS) incl. Acronis Secure Zone and i can't explore any singel drives on the Image. The Image is stored on a Networkdrive. I think there is a Problem with the FileSystem from Acronis Secure Zone.

My OS is a Windows 2003 Server Webedition
    I've been changed the Registry Key UpperFilters with the value "PartMgr".
    The Image size is 24 GBytes.

Nothing works :-( And i need today a file from my image. I hope somebody can help me or can give me some tricks.

Sorry for my very, very bad english ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.