Another Silly Question - Sorry

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mfreemanhcp7, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfreemanhcp7

mfreemanhcp7 Registered Member

I have made a habit of asking some really dumb and basic questions on these forums - so why change now?!? At least it'll be simple to answer and a short thread!! :oops:

I have recently bought a new PC which came bundled with PC-Cillin 2002. I am much more security aware since joining this forum and have now sourced much security software (see list below).

I have installed a trial version of NOD32 which recommended removing my existing AV software (which I did). I have also read that more than one AV installed may cause conflict.

Reading the forums I notice that many of you have two, three and even four AV programs installed!!!

Question - Can I run more than one AV program without detriment to either?

I would like to run NOD32 and PC-Cillin until my licence expires - at which point I would probably install a freebie such as AVG alongside NOD.

For info I have the following security software installed - would also appreciate any general comments here:

Zone Alarm (Free) - (Sygate -Free ON TRIAL)
    NOD32 (ON TRIAL)
    TDS-3 (licenced)
    Port Explorer (Licenced)
    WormGuard (Licenced)
    RegProt
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot S&D
    Adaware
    MRU Blaster

P.S This forum is a great place to learn! :D

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

you can install many antiviruses but keep only one real-time monitor running..

disable all background services of the others too, and keep them on demand only

they do really cause conflicts if you run two resident monitors(or more) at the same time.. bad conflicts-->crashes...

i have currently 5 av's installed: kav running resident, rav+antivirxp as on demand and two command line only scanners(f-prot and gladiators avlexa beta heuristic scanner)

then i have 3 anti trojans: trojan hunter(guard running), ewido free and a-2 free as on demand

here @wilders the only dumb questions are those that are not asked...

3. mfreemanhcp7

mfreemanhcp7 Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

RE: Silly Question...good point, well made. Thanks ;)

4. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

I agree that running more than one AV program can/will inevitably cause a breakdown in u r pc BUT I have managed to install 2 AV and keep them both running maybee it can be affected by multi-processors (Im running them on a server) as well as 3 different lotus domino span/av/file blockers (domino is our mail protocol) we use Groupshield (Mcafee) Etrust (Computer associates) and ASSU ? (i didnt install that one) but they all work in harmony the server consists of 4 x 120 gig HD's (RAID 5) 2GB DDR ram 2 NIC's about 24 usb ports only jokin' bout 12 AND 2 x 3 p4 dual processors running 3.05GIG "now thats a spicy meata ball" maybe performance outnumbers the problems.

matt G

aka bobmanuk

5. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

have you tried with a virus... which software nails it, if any?i was referring to that kind of conflicts..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.