Another Silly Question - Sorry (Split)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by root, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

User, I noticed you have two Firewalls installed. Not a good idea. Having two firewalls installed can cause problems you might not even be aware of. Not the same as AVs with one running resident.
    Also, running with two resident AVs can cause problems that may no be apparent. Any time you have two pieces of software trying to do the same thing at the same time, in the same place, there will likely be conflicts.

- Edit made to allow split-off of firewall portion - LWM

2. mfreemanhcp7

mfreemanhcp7 Registered Member

Re:Another Silly Question - Sorry

Thanks root,

RE: Firewall, actually I am running only one. I had been running ZA but since trialling Sygate have disabled autostart on ZA and do not have the program running. I don't really won't to uninstall it as I have my programs and other settings already established.

This should be OK shouldn't it?

P.S. Don't want to start a FW cross thread here.

Thanks

3. StarFox

StarFox Registered Member

Hy user17 ,
    even if you took ZA out of startup there still could be a process running called >TrueVector< [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE-service]

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, we can split the firewall posts off and move them to the other firewall section since a few have already been made here. I'll do that later - So long as anyone replying from this point forward doesn't mix AV and FW answers in a single reply. ;)

Well unfortunately, just having two software firewall packages installed can cause unseen conflicts that you may never know or realize. Most firewalls install drivers that still load even if you don't have their processes running. It is strongly recommended to only have one installed and when removing any firewall, be sure it all is removed.

My recommendation in your case would be once you decide which you'll use, remove both entirely and check your registry for leftovers, then reinstall the one you decide to keep.

5. root

root Registered Member

I agree! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.