Another Security Setup Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Just got another new netbook. That makes 2 netbooks and my gaming laptop. All 3 of which are Asus brand.

The gaming laptop is mine, one netbook is my wifes for everything she does, and the third (new) one is mine for taking to school, emails, and every day browsing or typing.

Now its got me thinking. I got a 6 month Norton AV license for free with my purchase. Im thinking about firewalls and actually upgrading the OS. Windows 7 Starter is a PITA.

Among upgrading OS's what firewall and AV combo would be good for a netbook? Of course security is key here due to campus script kiddies.

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I see that you are using LNS - so if it work don't fix it.
    About AV - Hitman Pro & MBAM as on demand scanners, if you need AV in realtime I remember Avira Free was pretty light (about detection rate you can check AV Comparatives website for more information).

3. whitedragon551

Thats my gaming laptop setup.

Not sure what to run on my netbook as the uses for both are going to be different.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

User your Norton AV license, it will give you a pretty good protection. Throw in KeyScrambler or PrevX SOL + Imaging software ready to go :rolleyes:

5. whitedragon551

No firewall? I do have Spyshelter Premium I can use with the run restricted function.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Woops i forgot it was Norton AV and not IS :rolleyes:

7. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I have the same situation..I just use comodo firewall with D+ and auto sandbox for my school netbook and on demand hitman pro:)

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would use the Norton AV license + Defense + and Comodo Firewall like Kernel said :)

9. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Sandboxie is a must in my opinion.

-Also-
    The aforementioned Keyscrambler and a good imaging program.

-Also-
    The free version of Bufferzone could prove useful, and I believe the free Zemena Antilogger offer is still active (1 year license).

10. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

Have an Asus 1005PE Netbook....I run a LUA with Pevx FB(paid)and Norton DNS ....I use this for all my computing nowadays....runs great for me;)Forgot to mention Emet....I set system to max and no probs...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Norton AntiVirus plus Windows 7 internals (LUA!, DEP/SEHOP/EMET) will do, no need to add anything, certainly not something useless like a firewall. Just use the Public profile when using public networks, and use the Home profile of the Windows Firewall when you are using your home network. It will do automatically.

If you are not going to use a LUA, you can also use the Zemana AntiLogger free giveaway, that will give you great protection against loggers and it will act like a light HIPS!

If your NAV license is expired you'd best try both avast! and Avira free editions and see which one you like most.

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It of course depends on how many scriptkiddies there are and how dangerous they are, but with all the tools and guides easily available these days I wouldn't take them lightly. One of they key points of my sugggested security setup is restriction, by SRP/LUA and/or HIPS. Spyshelter might be a good choice as you still have a license and it has a strong HIPS plus restricted browser function. And of course DEP/SEHOP/EMET to protect against the exploit kits. Since you're probably all on the same network something to protect against Man in the Middle attacks would be nice. Some firewalls and Prevx SOL protect against this by checking hosts file redirections and protecting against DNS poisoning by using a second DNS/IP lookup to doublecheck. A VPN would probably be the most secure option, but probably the most expensive and potentially slowing down network speed. Depending on the campus' physical security(laptops stolen during breaks, strength of lockers etc.) you also might want to consider full disk encryption if you have personal or sensitive information on it.

13. whitedragon551

Zemana is useless in my tests. Not a single pop up was thrown on my x64 testing. SS proved to be more effective. I guess Ill just harden the windows FW and stick to NAV. When my 6 month subscription runs out Ill toss Spyshelter Premium on there with the restricted mode.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think Zemana is still not fully developed for x64 systems. :rolleyes:
    They're still on it

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

As discussed before in the SS vs Zemana x64 thread a while ago, Zemana currently has only the anti-ssl logging module active on x64(though there is a beta now with anti-keylogging module), so the system-defense module(HIPS) is not present yet, so no wonder there were no pop-ups :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.