another sandbox. is it good? - AbuseShield

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iceni60, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Interesting . The info has some misspelled words . Never a good sign . It does not seem to talk much about protecting what other programs of this type do . Until more is known , stick with a known program for these typs of things . Prevx home is good and it is free . Just one suggestion . Hope this helps . Good luck in your quest

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, hollywoodpc :) thanks for the post. i have a couple of sandboxes already, i was wondering if it could replace SSM when it goes shareware, there's still alot of time before that happens so there's no rush.

i have got Prevx too, but i have disabled it because it uses alittle bit too much of my CPU's resources (with Prevx - total CPU goes upto 10%, without 4/5%)

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

The Windows Security features in Tiny Personal Firewall (www.tinysoftware.com) please me. I own ProcessGuard and have tried many others, without the satisfaction of the above.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I played with AbuseShield a little, and it's not bad. It's basically an enhanced version of ProcessGuard's execution prevention, the difference is that it allows you to define what user accounts can start a process (including system, etc.) and you can specify command line parameters that are allowed. It used about 8mb RAM, which I couldn't justify for only a couple additional options, but without other apps I may have chosen to keep using it, especially if I were using multiple accounts on my computer that I wanted more control of (which I'm don't currently)

This program struck me as one that was being marketed more towards business customers, which would make sense of the 1 free license- give an admin a free one and s/he's more likely to use it on work machines.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, AJohn and Notok :) i like the sound of the Tiny firewall, it's something i will think about using in the future. i've been having a little look at uninstallers recently (tracking the changes of an install so when you uninstall everything is removed) so i may install AbuseShield and have alook for myself, kill-two-birds-with-one-stone, so to speak :D :rolleyes:

7. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Iceni .
    First , if firewalls are new to you , I suggest doing some reading on Tiny . It is EXCELLENT at what it does . Very good choice . However , not the easiest to use . Once you understand it , it is GREAT . As for Prevx using 10 % . That is very strange . I use the pro and have it set to maxiumum . It uses no more than maybe 3% at the most . But , how much ram do you have ? I use over a meg . I cannot feel it at all on my system . I also run alot of other programs and have noi problems . Good luck in your quest

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, hollywoodpc :) firewalls are fairly new to me, i was just checking and it's still under a year since i got this computer and used the internet for the first time. at the moment i use Kerio 2.1.5 and i have learned alot in the last 4/5 months about networks and FWs

i have a good understanding of the layers of the Open System Interconnection and what the most commonly used protocols and port numbers are used for. though, having said that, as this is all still fairly new to me, there are still some basic principles i don't know :( .that goes for most of my computer knowledge - i know some more advanced things, but not some of the most basic

the way i have learned most things is by running programs like Tiny's FW and using trial and error; probably no the most sensible way of going about things, but i find it's the way i learn fastest :)

when i just booted i got a popup from SSM saying that it will expire in the next 3 days and i need to update it to the newest version. so, this could be a good time for me to try out AbuseShield. Notok, or anyone who knows, would AbuseShield be a good replacement for SSM, to run along side PG free? thanks :)

9. fortknox

fortknox Guest

That's a good question Iceni60, I would also be interested to know if AbuseShield would be a good replacement for SSM, but somehow I doubt it would be. SSM seems to do much more and is probably better than AbuseShield.

Perhaps running PG free along with Prevx and AbuseShield would be a better combo, than just PG and AS, if your dumping SSM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.