another one...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by erikguy, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

I think I'd like to post a quick question here... Does anyone know how to enable Disk Write Caching? Bootvis is giving me a warning claiming that it's disabled.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could check control panel, system, hardware, device manager, click on disk drives, right click for properties, and see what it says under policies.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Another member thought of this site maybe it will be of help link

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

5. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Yeah, me too.....is it a security concern :doubt: best to leave it off or on or depends and what is the XP default :doubt:

6. erikguy

That's funny... I once remembered that check box being there but it isn't anymore. And the other options are greyed out. Alternative methods?

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

For me (both on SP2 and the release candidates before), Bootvis "optimizes" without any error messages. But when I do a "trace", I get the error below. Bootvis is not available or supported by MS anymore. Even the last SP1 hotfix was available by request only. So I am not sure how crippled Bootvis is under SP2. My "Disk Write Caching" options are greyed out too.

Nick

Attached Files:

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

XP Home. sp2 on my computer.

Attached Files:

9. erikguy

Hi Ronjor, do you know how I could go about getting that option? The little checkbox is missing from my system.

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

This is first time I have even looked at this, my system is XP Pro, SP1+

Mine is enabled, so must have been by default.

TAS

Attached Files:

11. erikguy

The last time I looked at that option myself was long before SP2. But now I don't see it. Does SP2 remove this option? Can anyone confirm that?

12. erikguy

Actually Nick, my version said it was updated in 2003 and I believe SP1a came out in 2002. In any case, I didn't get an error message in a pop up window like your pic there this is what I got.... Oh actually, I did get an error message when I tried to "optimize". Right before it rebooted it said something about not being able to initialize a COM or DCOM service or something like that. And yes, I have the DCOM Server Process Launcher enabled. ;) :)

Attached Files:

13. erikguy

To tell the truth, what this is really about is my slow boot time after installing SP2. I noticed these "invalid" registry values consistently kept coming up in Registry First Aid 3.4 after the service pack install. In this version the corrections are immediately flushed to disk so I know data lost in memory is not the problem. Anyways, the values marked in red are under HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and there is a similar set of values located at HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders that includes the red values and that blue value there but instead of going under "Local Service" it goes under "Network Service" if you get what I'm saying. Suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking at you Nick! You seem to be on the ball when it comes to this computer stuff.

Attached Files:

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

erikguy

I have sp2 on xp home. It has been there through all the patches to xp.

Since that missing checkbox is under policies, it may be disabled.

Since we are using xp home, the policy editor is not available.

Unavailable (grayed)

System policies can be changed to an unavailable state. A grayed check box indicates the setting is not configured or is being ignored by the policy setting enforcement code in the logon process. Note that registry settings are neither set nor removed by the logon process. When you first create a system policy, all of the settings are set to the unavailable (grayed) state. If you have configured a policy and distributed the policy file and need to turn it off, use the clear setting to disable the policy.

Microsoft

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  15. nick s

nick s Registered Member

The following are two methods for troubleshooting slow boot times:

1. Try Show Verbose Security Status Messages (Windows 2000/XP). This will display status messages on the logon screen.

2. Try User Environment Debug Logging (Windows 2000/XP). If you suspect User Data and Settings Management errors, they will be logged to C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log. A related tool from MS that installs as a service is the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. It logs User Profile events in detail to the Event Log.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.