Another NOD newbie question about email scanning

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by geepondy, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geepondy

geepondy Registered Member

Providing I can get the server update function to work, I have another quesiton. I assume the email protection works with any pop3 mail client not just Outlook, is this true? I run Eudora. Also I received two email messages, one from an outlook client and another from a Eudora client. The outlook message had a blurb saying this email was checked by NOD but the Eudora message had nothing extra on the bottom save a message that was attached when sent from AVG saying it contained no viruses. I thought that was rather odd. I hope the incoming Eudora message got scanned for a virus..

2. tjevans

tjevans Registered Member

I too am a relative Nod32 newbie. However, I think I have the answer to your question. The EMON module monitors Outlook messages. All other email programs, including Eudora are monitored by the IMON module. By default, I believe the option to append the "clean" tag to email is off. It may be changed by going to the setup of the IMON module.

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Yup, TJEvans is right. IMON scans all incoming POP3 traffic at the network level, before it reaches the client. This means that will scan all incoming POP3 e-mail, whether it be for Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or whatever. The option to add e-mail tags is in the IMON --> Setup --> POP3 tab.

EMON, on the other hand scans e-mail via the Extended MAPI interface used by Outlook. This is basically scanning at the program level, more or less as a plugin. Any e-mail handled by Outlook will be scanned, whether it be POP3, IMAP4, Exchange, outgoing SMTP or whatever else. It can already scan messages already in your Outlook e-mail folders. That means POP3 mail received by EMON will be scanned twice: first by IMON, then by EMON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.