Another newbee question on how to image to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by komputer, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. komputer

komputer Registered Member

Not sure how to do a backup using ATI. 9
    I want to do a full backup to DVD+R or DVD-R, not to DVD-RWs nor DVD+RWs

I can get to pick a task, select backup, next,the entire disk contents or individual partition, I select disk 1 (drive C),next, I select Drive D ( DVD drive)
    out pops a window says d:\is not assessible ..incorrect function. if I click on ok, the type file name to drive D, I stll get that incorrect function.

1. Do I have to have a burning software?
    2. If so how or what do i have to do to set it up. so that ATI will see it?
    3. Will any burning software do or do I have to have nero/ roxio.

4. what if I have more then one burning software installed?
    how does ATI know which one to use?
    or should I ask, how do I make them work together?

In nortons ghost, when i do a backup, norton automatically burns to the DVD

thanks in advanced, hope I did not confuse anyone

This is what I found but does it apply to:
    1. DVD-R?
    2. DVD+R?
    3. DVD-RW
    4. DVD+RW
    5. Only to 3 and 4 above?
    So as per below, does one really format a DVD+R?
    -------------------------
    How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images directly to DVD discs?

Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD disc in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If a DVD disc is not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to format it.

You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing driver so that you can format the DVD and the computer can see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0 currently supports the following DVD-writing software:

* Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media Creator
    * Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero site for Ahead Nero users (and usually is shipped with Nero)

In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.

To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you should do the following:

1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
    2. Format the DVD discs.
    3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted DVD disc into the DVD burner and create an image.
    4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in Windows and by means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.

There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image 9.0 can create an image of a hard disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello komputer,

Even Roxio can't "format" DVD-R disks. Therefore the only way you will be able to save an image to this type of media is via the indirect, two-step, method using your normal DVD burning software.

Please check out <Acronis True Image 9.0 Online FAQ #27> plus this <previous reply> for details on how to save images onto various DVDs.

Regards

3. komputer

Ok this is what I did: a little experminting and a little reading.

started roxio ......roxio> DATA> DragtoDisc
    put DVD+R in DVD drive
    menu pops up on lower right of monitor
    click on MENU (top right icon right below the X on top right corner) and select FORMAT Disc
    it formats for a few seconds and then its ready

i started ATI, Acronis>true image>acronis true image>i select BACKUP from pick a task>Next> click on ..the entire disk contents or individual partion>next>select disk 1 by putting a check mark on the box in front of ( C:)>next>ok for that info pop up screen on incremental stuff>select the DVD drive D>next>put check dot on.create new full backup archive> next>put dot on use default options>next>type in coments in archive comments>next>proceed (on create backup wizard)

after the first DVD, I just put in another DVD when it asked me to.. did not have to format it, guess Dragtodisc did that ..tranparent..the way I like things to go..

Questions:
    why did it name the discs vol 1, vol 4, vol 7 etc
    why not disc 1, 2, 3, 4 etc
    using the vol stuff is confusing since it skips numbers

Not too sure if I will backup using ATI, am used to Norton Ghost and ATI is a bit confusing..to me ..at this time.

4. Menorcaman

I don't use Roxio/Sonic software but when Drag-to-Disk burnt the image to the formatted DVD+Rs did it split it into 3 smaller chunks per DVD? If so, then I guess it's possible that Drag-to-Disk gives each individual chunk a Volume Number and labels the DVDs with a number corresponding to the first chunk on each disk.

Regards

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It would be interesting to know what Acronis was set to regarding image-splitting. Komputer's "complaint" regarding volume numbers not matching disk numbers sounds familiar from other posts. IIRC in those cases it was TI's splitting of images that gave the volume numbers. I may be all wet and if so, you have a talent for setting me straight Menorcaman:D !

6. Menorcaman

Hi there Seekforever,

I could very well be barking up the wrong tree myself!!:D

However, in the description of his actions, komputer didn't say that he selected the option to manually split the image (if set to "Automatic" TI will write a single .tib per DVD). Still, as I said, I'm not familiar with imaging "direct" to DVD+R via Roxio's Drag-to-Disk. Hence I needed to ask the question about whether Drag-to-Disk itself split the image into 3 chunks. Unlikely I guess but, in this game, you never know o_O.

Regards

7. komputer

yes, it was set to automatic, not manual.

When I put the first DVD+R, roxio did format it for what seemed a quick time.
    After the first DVD+R, when ATI asked for another DVD, I just put in a NEW DVD+R. I dont know if it got formatted or not.
    I tried to select all the default settings.

But now what?
    How do I know it worked.
    Do I have to try and restore the image?
    Heck, my puter is working fine. I dont want to mess it up..but still

Maybe I would be better off just cloning to an USB hard drive. I have a few of those.
    I could try it with Norton and with ATI to see which I like better.
    Was on sale at amazon.

OK, checked properties per DVD. Roxio labeled them, roxio1, roxio2, roxio3, roxio4

3 tib files on the first 3 DVDs of about 2 gb on first 2 files and 394mb on last file with about 400mb free space on each of the first 3 DDVD. The last DVD did not fill up, ie only one tib file.

So in 4.7gb, two 2gb tib files and one 400mb tib file plus 400 mb free space does add up.

But who/what split it? I double checked and I selected default setting, which is automatic. Guess it really does not matter, AS long as it works.
    Label: Roxiox where x is either 1, 2, 3, or 4
    Type:DVD+R
    File system: Drag to Disc R

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  8. Menorcaman

Hi komputer,

Thanks for the additional info. I use InCD when imaging "direct" to DVD+/-RW and that definitely doesn't result in a number of small .tib per DVD. So it looks pretty certain that Roxio's Drag-to-Disk is doing the "chunking" when you image direct to DVD+R media. Still, as you say, how or why the image gets split is unimportant so long as it's serviceable :).

Well there are a couple of things you could try:

1. Boot from the TI rescue CD (created by the paid for version of TI 9, not the trial version) and use the Check Archive Wizard to verify the image on DVDs. You will need to insert the last DVD first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes. Note that TI refers to each .tib file as a Volume so, in your case, if it prompts for Volume 4, it probably wants disk #2 :)wacko:).

2. Use Windows Explorer to temporarily copy the complete image from the DVDs back to a single folder on your hard drive. Run TI in Windows mode and "Plug" (mount) the image that you copied to your hard drive as a virtual drive. Use Windows Explorer to navigate around the virtual drive and try copying a few files from it to a temporary location. When done, you can delete the copied files and "unplug" the virtual drive.

Successfully achieving 1. and 2. is a pretty good indicator that you will be able to restore the image when it's needed.

Regards

9. gerdheinrichs

gerdheinrichs Registered Member

I used Nero's INCD to back up a disk image to DVD-R. IT creates 2GB files (plus a smaller one per DVD) numbering them sequentially. When the backup was completing and starting the verify I received Message W00040011 "Please insert media marked volume1..." when I do this I get message E00040012 "This is not the last volume of backup archive.."
    Checking the log it indicates that it is looking for the name of the backup file WITHOUT THE SEQUENTIAL NUMBERING APPENDED.

10. Menorcaman

Hello gerdheinrichs,

I'm afraid you can't backup direct to DVD-R. If using InCD you must use DVD+RW or DVD-RW disks. Please see this <previous reply> for more details on how to save images to DVD.

Regards

11. gerdheinrichs

gerdheinrichs Registered Member

I used Nero's INCD to back up a disk image to DVD-R. IT creates 2GB files (plus a smaller one per DVD) numbering them sequentially. When the backup was completing and starting the verify I received Message W00040011 "Please insert media marked volume1..." when I do this I get message E00040012 "This is not the last volume of backup archive.."
    Checking the log it indicates that it is looking for the name of the backup file WITHOUT THE SEQUENTIAL NUMBERING APPENDED.

12. Menorcaman

As we seem to be in the business of repeating ourselves, let me say again that TI cannot successfully backup direct to DVD-R, whether you use InCD, Roxio Drag-to-Disk or some other UDF packet writing software. The DVDs need to be preformatted via InCD and it can't do that with "write-once" DVD-R media. Please believe me and stop wasting your time!!

If you want to to copy your TI images to DVD-R then you will need to use the "two-step" method as detailed in the link I provided above.

Regards

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are glad to inform you that the new build (3625) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that supports writing backup archives to DVD directly has just been released.

If you are registered user of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then you can download the new build from the Product Updates section of your account at our web site. To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

If you use the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then just re-download it from our web site. It should be of the latest build (3625).

The User's Guide and FAQ will be updated shortly.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.