Another MailWasher question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sk, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk

sk Registered Member

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to me as if MailWasher integrates very well into OE, my default email client. There does not seem to be any option - at least not one I've been able to find - to highlight a particular email and then open it directly in OE; there is only a general option to open IE period, but not the specific email I have highlighted. I just think it would be a lot nice if enabled me to do that.

:)

sk

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

SK, mailwasher simply looks at the emails you have on various servers for your email accounts.
    Your emailer can't open it directly from mailwasher as it first has to download them as they are still sitting on various servers.

3. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi Sk

That is , my friends, what I like the most, read the full headers, no need to download attachements, they mostly are crap only, then delete straight from account. If someone has something important to say, s/he is allowed to type it on email, not on attachements. I hate when I receive attachements with eml extension. I delete those at first. As well some other extensions and just one unexplained link is nasty, it could be anything. I never click on those if there is no explanation typed. However, The MailWasher allows you to click on links.

'Ari*

4. sk

sk Registered Member

Well, the 'problem' as I see it is that once I've read something in MailWasher, when I want to respond, I have to then go through the extra steps of going into O.E., d/li'ng it, and then opening up the email again. That's three more steps that I have to do compared to when I just go directly to my ISP's email web server. That route also provides me with the opition to view all my emails while they remain on the server, thus keeping my h/d completely out of the picture. But it also lets me respond right then and there without having to d/l anything to my h/d unless I want to. It gives spell check and I believe a/v protection, and lets me create 'save' folders if I want to, etc. I guess I was looking for something similar in MailWasher, and was just commenting when I saw I couldn't do what I thought it would allow me to do, based on what I can already do with the way my ISP's webmail is set up. Granted, my ISP doesn't allow the bouncing option, but that's not really something I plan to do -much - if at all - anyway. And I can access that account from any pc; it doesn't need any extra software.

sk

5. MickeyTheMan

Well, i suppose it all depends on the number of accounts you have.
    I have 15 on 6 different servers. Mailwasher can look at them all at the same time. 95% of that is trash anyway. Saves me the time to go trough each account one by one in my emailer.

6. sk

sk Registered Member

Woah! That's a totally different story! Yes, I can definitely see exactly your point. In that sense, it's an excellent 'screener' program. And I'm sure it works well for people with less demands than what you've described. Damn, MTM - that's a full time job just going through all of that. (And that doesn't take into account all the IM's you get too. :D)

Thanks for adding to the perspective.

sk

7. On Tassie_Devil's advice, I have been using Mailwasher 2.0 beta now for a couple of days, and I LOVE IT!

For some reason, on the average, I get about 3 virus infected emails per day, except weekends.. Most are Klez J. Well, I have 3 different email pop 3 accounts, and this baby allows me to "preview" them all! and delete the garbage! The bounce feature is a Godsend! I am sending my $20 today! A lot of the email I get is ads, due to my profession (real estate sales), and with Mailwasher, it saves me the aggravation of opening up 3 differnet accounts to find an important email among the garbage!

Also, it seems to identify spam pretty accurately! I think it's a great program!

I am a strong believer in supporting a product if it's good. I already vountarally donated to Spybot, and Mailwasher is going to get it's due today!
    :cool:

8. sk

sk Registered Member

Well, the one thing I didn't factor in when using my ISP's welb mail access is that is doesn't have nearly the configurability that MailWasher has, neither with rules or blacklist/friends list. And that is a big plus with MailWasher, IMHO. And it's also more cumbersome having to go from one account, log out of that one, log into another one, etc.

sk

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI sk....

Well, that would be nice I suppose, but the trouble is, MailWasher has NO control over how OE does its job.

That is, once OE is 'opened' [unless otherwise configured by yourself manually] it will automatically download ANY email waiting on the server/s you have set up accounts for.

However, like MTM says, just opening the email itself in MailWasher you still get the text message and you don't have to re-open again in OE unless you want to save the email itself for future reference. [Or in MailWasher's Preview, Highlight it, copy and paste it if contents/links are what you are after and don't want to open OE]

Straight Shooter: Glad you like it. :)

10. sk

sk Registered Member

Thanks, Tassie. Just one small point in response - it's not just wanting to save the email that necessitates opening up OE; responding requires that as well. But the real beauty of MailWasher might emerge the more it grabs blacklists; it will only continue to get 'smarter', and like when I used to use S.I.P. (before AdShield), it was fun to watch it become more efficient the more the blacklist filled up. I think it's a program that is more suited to folks with major email coming in from multiple accounts, but I think it'll end up being a keeper for me too.
    sk

11. MickeyTheMan

SK, ever considered using something other than OE ?
    Anything else, really...PLEASE ! :D

12. sk

sk Registered Member

Well, yeah, MtM. But that's sort of a sore subject now. I WAS looking into Becky's mail. (You oughta know that; I was the one who asked you how much it cost. lol) I figured with the forum down, so went Becky's mail with it. Unless the two have nothing to do with one another.

sk

13. Tassie_Devils

Hi sk:

Want to add to your black list FAST?

OK read this:

Q. Can I import an existing blacklist?
    A. Yes, if the existing blacklist is a plain text file of email addresses. The blacklist file is located in the "Application Data" directory, this can be located by selecting About in the Help menu and clicking on the link. Just copy and paste your new addresses in to the blacklist file in that directory.

Q. Why don't big imported spam lists work with MailWasher?
    A. If you use Windows 95,98, or Me these operating systems have a limit of 32,000 characters for a list and will stop MailWasher working properly if the list is too big. A good (large) list can be found at http://www.gaznet.au.com/spam/gaspf.htm

The above address I changed slighty to go direct to the download page, but take note of the Q&A above.

The blacklist file you download [340Kb] ends up being almost 1Mb when unzipped, so you may want to cull it a bit if using the above OS.

I have Win2K Pro so no probs. :)
    I would have added the list in upload but way tooo big.

14. sk

sk Registered Member

To Tassie - Devil:
    Thanks, Tassie!
    :D

15. Tassie_Devils

No worries!................

Attached Files:

16. controler

controler Guest

Tassie ? Do you recomend adding this list to both OE and Mailwasher?
    Appears by the info below , you can add it to an outlook file also. Below info taken from instructions located in the RTF file which comes with the ZIP download file.

"The GazNET Anti-Spam Protection File can be used with the following programs (if you know of any more, contact me).
    MailWasher (Website)
    Outlook 97/98/2000/XP (Website)
    Spam Buster (Website) "

"Instructions

1. Outlook 97/98/2000/XP

Installation into any version of Outlook is fairly painless. Once the file is in the correct location, Outlook automatically uses it! However, depending on your version of Windows, the location of the file may differ. So, how do you know where your Outlook hides its junk senders file? Well, that depends on your version of Windows. Use the following to help you determine where the file is located on your computer.

Windows 95/98

Unzip and copy the file to one (not both) of the paths listed below. Depending on your setup, the path may differ. For the second path listed below, don't forget that %USERNAME% is your username.

\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

\Windows\Profiles\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows 2000/XP Users

Unzip and copy the file to the path listed below. Don't forget that %USERNAME% is your username. This path assumes a clean install of either Windows 2000 or Windows XP. If you have upgraded to either OS, it may differ slightly.

\Documents And Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Windows NT

Unzip and copy the file to the path listed below. Don't forget that %USERNAME% is your username. This path is also the same for Windows 2000 if you have upgraded from Windows NT (clean installs are different, see above).

\WINNT\Profiles\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Finally...

Please be aware that this file will overwrite your existing junk senders list. If you already have a junk senders list in Outlook 97/98/2000/XP, you will be asked to overwrite the existing file, just click yes to overwrite it. If you want to keep your existing junk senders list, make a copy of it first, and then append the contents of your file to the bottom of my file.

Don't forget to send me your old file so that I can add it to my database! You can learn how to do this by going to the 'Submit' page on my website. Please remember that you will need to set up a rule to tell Outlook to check all incoming e-mail against my file. This is fairly easy to do. Simply go to Tools > Rules Wizard, and follow the instructions from there."

17. Tassie_Devils

Hi Controller:

I see your point. NO, I do not have it in OE at all.

We were talking about MailWasher in general, but I can see how it could get confusing.

MailWasher's "Blacklist" also resides in 'Application Data' under folder 'Mailwasher' [pic]

The blacklists DO NOT reside in the c:/Program Files/Mailwasher folder at all. It took some time for me to track that down a good while ago when I first got the first MailWasher, but that's where it is.

Again, personally I DO NOT HAVE ANY SPAM LISTS IN OE, just MailWasher.

Thanks for pointing that out.

edit: I am unsure how OE would handle adding a list that big, I do not want to stuff it, so just depend on MailWasher's handling of it. :)

edit again: Path for NT ~
    C:/Documents & Settings/*yourusername*/Application Data/Mailwasher

You COPY the text from the downloaded list, and ADD it into the "Blacklist.txt" list you see inside the Mailwasher folder. If NO list exists, create one [it means you have not blacklisted anyone probably] and copy the list into it. Blacklist.txt is the file that Mailwasher operates on. DO NOT try and put another file in there under another name, as I *presume* it would either not work or screw things up.

You should see 3 files in there.
    Blacklist.txt [if one created]
    filters.txt
    spamLog.txt [this is nothing to do with 'Blacklists', read it, it's a LOG of each time you operate MailWasher.

Attached Files:

18. sk

sk Registered Member

Aaaaaah yes.
    Teamwork amongst those voices in one's head is critical Tassie.

19. MickeyTheMan

Same here. I use Becky, and it would be pointless to set any filters in it as nothing that i don't want gets downloaded into folders since they were all pre-filtered in Mailwasher already.

PS. If nobody used OE as emailer, most worms would loose their favourite way to propagate.... ;) ;)

20. Tassie_Devils

lol sk

Yeah mate, sorry, should have made it clearer, it was just that *I knew* where it was, so did not think much further.

Even though it did say in my original post.
    see pic, easy way to get to it.

I should have elaborated further. Oh well, I hope it's ok for you now sk

Is it?

Attached Files:

21. sk

sk Registered Member

Yes, Tassie; indeed it is. :cool:
    I basically had to work with some of the other settings in M.W. and change the way I approached checking my email with M.W. I unchecked the option to have M.W. show 'friends' emails, so basically I'm only using it now to scrub the junk stuff. That way, when I then open up O.E. to be able to respond to emails from the friends list, that's all that shows up, and it's working out better now. Thanks for all your input.

sk

22. MickeyTheMan

BTW, latest version is 2.0.21 beta

23. sk

sk Registered Member

That's the version I'm using, MtM. But since I was just about to come and post this question anyway, I'll just include it here. Having read all of the recent posts concerning MailWasher I came to the conclusion that routinely bouncing responses is not a good practice. But what I can't now figure out is how to incorporate the heuristic option and at the same time NOT have it relegate those emails automatically for bouncing? Since I have chosen to NOT bounce them, I have to go through each one and uncheck them so they won't bounce when I click "Process Mail". (NOTE: I'm sure that the full line next to the "Careful" button is supposed to read: "Only automatically mark messages which strongly resemble spam for bounce and delete".)

sk

Attached Files:

24. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

You could uncheck "Mark blacklisted messages for bouncing".

I do.

Attached Files:

25. sk

sk Registered Member

To Tony -
    Thanks. But as you can see, I've already undone that option. That was the first thing I did. It didn't keep the 'bounce' option from being checked.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.