Another Licensing Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wilbyforce, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbyforce

wilbyforce Registered Member

Having just read the thread about installing onto more than one machine, could I ask if it is legal to install on one PC but then make an image of a drive in a second, networked machine on a home network?

I have no problem with buying a second license if I need to.

Thanks.

Keith.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My own read of the license is that this is fine.

Given some of the LAN/drive connectivity issues that I've experienced in a home (i.e. Windows Workgroup) setting, I've personally opted for individual licenses and local installs on all machines that I perform backups on at home.

Blue

3. wilbyforce

Thanks for the quick response. I am surprised that this is the case. How does imaging a second PC across a network differ from doing it with a locally installed copy? Is it just a quirk of the license?

Regards,
    Keith.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The installed application image exists and is run from one PC.

It also matters which version of TI9 you have. You are not able to do this from the Home version, as far as I know, you are able to perform these types of operations using the Workstation version. However, if you have a typical home network setup (and the Workstation version), I still wouldn't recommend it.
    No.

Blue

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Assuming you are talking about TI Home, my interpretation of the license agreement is that this configuration requires one license, since it is only running on one machine.

However this type of operation has been found to be generally unreliable for ATI from what I have read here.

F.

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Au Contraire, Foghorne. I do exactly this from my laptop to a networked drive on my desktop and it works every time. The only time I have not been able to get it to work is if I use a scheduled task to run at shutdown. I've reported this issue to Acronis support but have not yet received a response. I run a scheduled task every night at a specific time which works flawlessly. This TI 9.0 Home B3677.

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Thanks for your post thomas. I did not say that it didn't work for you, nor that it did not work at all. I was simply pointing out that this is one configuration which had thrown up quite a few problems in the past, and therefore there is a chance that others wanting to use it might hit problems. One thing which comes to mind for example is backing up over a wireless link - which has let some people down.

F.

8. wilbyforce

It isn't quite what I meant anyway, I was talking about taking an image of a drive in the second PC on a home network using the first PC, the first being the one with TI installed. I'm still not sure why it's apparently OK to do this but not to install the app twice since, essentially, you end up with the same result.

The only thing I can think is that the method is so unreliable it's not worth trying.

I'm using TI Home v10 BTW.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wilbyforce,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis True Image (any version) is able to create disk/partition image or backup of separate files/folders (file-based backup).

As it was mentioned above the Home version of Acronis True Image is able to create the disk/partition image on the local computer only. Using Acronis True Image 10.0 Home it is possible to back up and restore to and from networked shared folder. The file-based approach will be used. Please have a look at this previous post of mine for details.

If you would like to create the image of the entire disk/partition of the remote computer via network (which includes the operating system, registry, drivers, software applications and data files, as well as system areas hidden from the user) we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server (depending on the operating system you use).

Using one of the above products you will be able to install Acronis True Image Agent on the remote computer and perform backup/restore operations via Acronis True Image Management Console from the central location.

I would recommend that you find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

As for the license question, please be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

To simplify what Aleksandr said. TrueImage Home will NOT make an image of the hard drive on the remote computer. Therefore, you can't back up the entire remote system.

If you only want to backup data files on the remote system, TI Home will do that.

To backup both systems with images that can be restored to a new hard drive would require the program to be installed on both machines with two licenses to be in compliance with Acronis's licensing policy.

11. wilbyforce

Thanks all, understood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.