another guy who "Cannot Assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EdwardElric, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdwardElric

EdwardElric Registered Member

I have this seemingly common symptom.
    Steps I have taken to try and fix it so far:
    • Uninstalling/Reinstalling TI8 with the 937 patch
    • Running chkdsk /f on startup on both drives
    • Making sure TI8 is done analyzing partitions before doing anything when I open it
    • Running TI8's check image tool before trying to mount them
    • Mounting them on under many different letters
    • Not passwording images/passwording them again
    • Defragmenting

Stuff that could be important:
    My C: drive (on which Windows XP is installed) is a Seagate 160GB SATA drive
    my Secondary drive (I:) (internal) which I backup and store large files on is a 250GB Maxtor (also SATA). Both are formatted in NTFS, both have enough space to mount a virtual drive.
    I do have a virus scanner (Kaspersky) and have not tried disabling that while creating images yet, if that would help at all.
    I am running Windows XP SP2 with all recent microsoft updates. My motherboard is an ASUS SK8V.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: another guy who "Cannot Assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archi

Hello EdwardElric,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that it is unclear to me whether the problem still persists or not.

If yes, then please do the following:

- Make sure that all the volumes of the image archive reside within the same folder;

- Verify the image archive by means of the Check Image tool;

- If the image archive appears to be consistent then please check whether there is an EISA partition in your image archive (generally the service partition on a laptop). If yes, then please select the "Do not mount option" for this partition;

- If there is no EISA partition, then please run "regedit" command and let me know the data lines of the below registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. EdwardElric

Re: another guy who "Cannot Assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archi

Hi. I don't know what an EISA partition is but my computer is not a laptop. I'm not sure how I would find out if I have an EISA partition or service partition so you'd have to tell me how to do that.

Value datas for those two keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

Data = snapman

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

Data = VolSnap
    snapman
    timounter

4. Rcrete

Rcrete Registered Member

My problem was just solved by Acronis as follows:

Run "regedit" command (Start -> Run) and open the following registry branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then please choose to modify UpperFilters Value data and add PartMgr value.

This Value was missing and when added immediately solved the problem

5. Acronis Support

Hello EdwardElric,

Please add PartMgr value to the respective registry key as Rcrete has suggested and inform me about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. EdwardElric

I did this and got mixed results.
    On the good side I can mount the images properly now, however it caused my memory card reader that is built into my monitor, to stop working (the virtual drives it normally creates for each type of memory card disappear and inserting a memory card does nothing.) It also changed my secondary'd HDD's assigned drive letter...
    I can only fix this by changing back the registry key.

Here's what My Computer looked like prior to changing this key (when acronis wouldn't mount properly but my monitor's reader would work):
    http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/6474/withoutregkeyacroniswontmount1.jpg

D:, E:, and J: are my three optical drives, and I: is my secondary hard disk (which I store the acronis images on)

The Z: is the reader on my printer/scanner combo which I never use

F:, G:, H:, and K: are the four memory card slots on the monitor. When I change the registry key that fixes acronis, all this stuff changes:
    http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3089/withregkey1hr.jpg
    and the readers won't work. They still do, however, show up in device manager, and I tried uninstalling all of them and reinstalling them but no luck.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello EdwardElric,

Please confirm that you didn't also add the PartMgr data value to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters Value name. UpperFilters in this key should only contain the following:

VolSnap
    snapman
    timounter

In the event everything is as it should be then try moving the drive letter assignments for your three optical drives further up the alphabet e.g. W:, X: and Y: (right click My Computer, select Manage and then Disk Management. Right click on the first optical drive, select Change Drive Letter and Paths, click on the Change button and choose an appropriate drive letter from the dropdown list. Repeat for the other two drives.).

Regards

8. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

Hello EdwardElric,

You will find many threads on this same issue. Support sent me several reg edits and they all resulted in the same problem that you have. My drive partitions were all re-lettered and some of my USB function was lost. I've been told since early Spring that this problem will be fixed. However, we couldn't wait and uninstalled TI Corporate Workstation. NovaBackup is now our app of choice. I keep hoping TI will address this problem, since we have a considerable investment in the product, but so far, no luck

Grant

9. Acronis Support

Hello EdwardElric,

In case Menorcaman's suggestion will not work, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application in the way described below:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot.

Please note that the application may crash the system when you exit, so we recommend you to save all your work and close other programs prior to running it.

Send all these files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. EdwardElric

Hi! Good news, I was going to try this but I got an email saying that acronis has released trueimage 9.0, and the extra features looked useful, so I bought it and updated it, and it has fixed this problem entirely!
    Thank you for your help.

11. Acronis Support

Hello EdwardElric,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.