another firewall issues thread

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Creepingdeath, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creepingdeath

Creepingdeath Registered Member

Sorry ahead of time for yet another firewall thread but I'm not seeing the same issues as others or their solutions aren't working for me.

I've used ESS on one laptop for a couple of years and remember having initial problems with my firewall but got them resolved. My other laptop and desktop used NOD32 for years. This weekend I upgraded them all to ESS and now I have this....

All home network traffic is fine. I can share printers from all PC's. Internet traffic is generally OK but is real laggy on some websites. However, I can't get to Gmail AT ALL from any of them. The Weather Channel webpage is the same. Local news paper page is so slow it sometimes fails or partially fails. The only way I can get everything working is to disable the Firewall.

Right now I'm very frustrated and aggravated and am hoping I didn't make the wrong decision here. Please, help. Going to Automatic mode doesn't help. I turned off TCP attack detection and overload detection. Also turned off UDP attack detection. Nothing solves these issues except disabling the Firewall.

I'm running all systems in Interactive Mode with no special profiles. Any suggestions?

Mike

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Creepingdeath

No difference at all.

I can get to Google's main page and use the search function. When i click the Gmail tab, the page eventually times out and says it's unavailable. Same message if I try to go to The Weather Channel webpage. The thing is, if I turn off the Firewall, it goes to each website instantly.

Thanks for the quick reply though.

4. Creepingdeath

Also, the results are the same whether I use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Are you using hosts file? Any other security software in use? Is javascript allowed?

6. Creepingdeath

java is allowed. no host files. deleted zone alarm freeware before loading ESS. Had NOD32 on and ESS loaded over top.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

8. Creepingdeath

Interestingly, the desktop and the one laptop both had NOD32 & ZA. I just checked them and the laptop doesn't load those pages but the desktop WILL load Gmail but still won't load Weather Channel. The other laptop that already had ESS but I just updated (and never did have ZA) won't load either page. That just doesn't make sense unless the firewall is just that much different from the previous version.

I will try the clean up tool on the laptop that had it. Still doesn't explain all issues. And again, disabling the Firewall, makes all 3 systems surf all pages fine.

9. Creepingdeath

No effect. No change after running the clean up tool.

10. Creepingdeath

Opps...... correction! The desktop is acting the same. It seems like the Firewall doesn't make changes right away so, when I turned the Firewall back on and tried accessing Gmail and weather.com, Gmail worked. However, after a couple of minutes, it's acting just like both laptops now. Only time is accesses Gmail is when the Firewall is off.

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

12. Creepingdeath

OK... well... after cleaning out those files, this time, after a long wait, I got a text version of the weather.com site (no graphics) and Gmail still won't load. Turn off the Firewall, they both load instantly.

Thanks for your help so far. I hope there's a solution somewhere here.

Also, just so you understand, other sites are loading slowly or not at all as well. It's just these 2 get used quite a bit, are different style sites, and give me a quick judge of what works and what doesn't.

13. Creepingdeath

So a temporary fix in going back and finding other threads back in 2009 where Goggle services were blocked is to disable "Block unsafe address after attack detection". Unchecking that seems to solve all issues but also seems to defeat the purpose of a firewall. I find it hard to believe this problem goes back years with no good solution to be readily found.

If you have any other suggestions, I would very much like to have the software fully functional. This at least puts me in a non-alarmed state as far as ESS is concerned.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

List your operating system and any other anti-malware software you use or have used in the past on the computers. This should include any browser plug ins, etc. The more information, the better.

15. Creepingdeath

XP Pro on all 3 systems.

One laptop has had ESS since new, nothing else. Ran great until I updated the software. that's why I wanted the same software on the other 2 systems and now all 3 have the same issue.

Second laptop has run NOD32 since last hard drive wipe and Zonealarm for firewall. Used Malwarebytes occassionally for spyware, etc. Always like something else scanning for pieces NOD may have missed.

Desktop setup the same as second laptop... NOD32, zonealarm, and Malwarebytes.

I've run the cleaners listed. Nothing changed.

16. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.