Another Firebird/Fox Question

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ThenWhat, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThenWhat

ThenWhat Registered Member

I'm using Firebird 0.7 (if it ain't broke don't fix it) & obviously Spywareblaster isn't recognizing it. Anyone know if I can install Firefox 0.9.1 over it without losing bookmarks, etc & WITHOUT other problems?

2. scrambled

scrambled Registered Member

I think you have to uninstall the older version of Firefox. They give instructions.

Before doing so, go to the Bookmarks Manager and export your current bookmarks where you can find them to import them into your new version.

Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks

In Bookmarks Manager:
    File/Export

You will have to reinstall any special extensions you use. I only use the Sort Bookmarks one.

3. ghost_13

ghost_13 Registered Member

1. DO NOT INSTALL A NEWER VERSION WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OLD VERSION OF MOZILLA (firebird/fox) FIRST.

2. download version 0.9.2 which has a security fix/patch.

3. if you've installed your extensions to your profile, then you won't have to download them again... you must disable them before you install a new version of firefox though. (Tools > Options.. )

just in case: if you do a search for all *.xpi files and save them, you'll probably be able to reinstall your extensions by dragging & dropping these .xpi files onto the new firefox (0.9.2) program shortcut (on your desktop).. well, that's how i installed extensions on 0.9.1 when i downloaded them first before installing them on a different pc, rather than doing a direct install from the internet.. &i assume things are the same for 0.9.2. i had to do them one at a time tho.

[NOTE: some old extensions won't work on firefox 0.9.2 - so check for updates/compatibility.]

ok, well there are clearer instructions @ mozilla.org - &specifically: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/0.9.html (read the part about 'Installing Firefox' and the info below that about uninstalling firefox, profiles/extensions, etc.)

4. firefox 0.9.1 (&i assume 0.9.2) will ask if you want to copy over bookmarks & settings from an older version of mozilla OR internet explorer. but make a backup of the bookmarks as scrambled suggested anyway.

hope that helps. :)

4. SB Updates available for 3.1?

I prefer to keep my existing Firefox 0.8 installation. I erroneously assumed Spywareblaster 3.2 was backwards-compatible with this version, and ended up uninstalling SB 3.2 and re-installing 3.1. Now I am unable to update SB 3.1, since all that is offered is the new version. Manually downloading the database files resulted in a "database error" in SB 3.1

Question is, is there any way to get functional protection updates for SB 3.1 as of this date? THX

5. ghost_13

Re: SB Updates available for 3.1?

i assumed that too. but i have no idea how to update 3.1 now after it's been uninstalled &reinstalled (which i also did).. anyway your question is completely irrelevant to this thread. someone else has started a thread asking about updates for 3.1 ...maybe you should subscribe to it in case anyone can give us the answer to that question (i need to know how to update 3.1 too).

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=215467&posted=1#post215467

let me know if you find out from anywhere else. thankyou. :)

6. ThenWhat

Thnx to all. I actually have zero desire to upgrade to Firefox 0.9.2, but inability to update Spywareblaster3.1 anymore + failure of 3.2 to recognize my version of Firebird doesn't leave much choice.

7. ghost_13

i agree.. but currently i'm thinking i'd rather be without spywareblaster (or at least not a fully updated 3.1 version) than go to all the trouble of upgrading mozilla firefox right now - & it probably is a lot of trouble when you want to keep all the extensions/tweaks/bookmarks, etc. i have other software to protect me from spy/ad/malware on my pc. still, it's a shame... &i'm not the only one who's upset by the lack of backward compatibility with firefox. loads of people don't want to upgrade firefox &still want spywareblaster to work with 0.8

Wish Mozilla hadn't changed firefox so much that this happened.. or that javacool/spywareblaster could still provide updates for version 3.1

oh, well.

(maybe when i upgrade/format my pc - soon, hopefully - i'll change my mind &upgrade firefox too.. maybe. *shrug* )

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Well, there are at least two important reasons to upgrade Firefox:

1.) Firefox 0.9.2 includes quite a few security fixes/patches that are not, and will not be available for previous versions ( such as 0.7/0.8 ).

2.) Firefox 0.9.x starts and runs faster than previous versions, and includes quite a few other bug fixes.

That said, even if you choose not to upgrade now you should keep SpywareBlaster 3.2 for it's updated Internet Explorer protection. Even if you don't use IE for normal browsing, it's important to keep it as secure as you can get it.

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Actually, Firefox 0.9.x provides a very convenient upgrade wizard that should convert all of your settings from previous versions, as well as your bookmarks. (You will have to obtain new versions of the extensions you use, but the new Extension Manager makes that a snap.)

While I also wish the Mozilla/Firefox crew hadn't changed things quite as much as they did with the most recent releases, it's fairly important that people upgrade to the latest version of Firefox soon (0.9.2) - the fact is: it is more secure than previous releases. (In fact, the ".2" version was released just to fix a security vulnerability.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. ThenWhat

DONE!!! Quick, easy, & simple 0.9.2 upgrade...exactly the opposite of the nightmare of the original install, which turned out to be caused by newly updated video drivers. Spywareblaster3.2 up + protecting. Thanks Javacool, keep up the great work. It IS appreciated.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It is not easy to upgrade when you need to get something like Spell Checker 0.4.0 Front End working with 0.9 and above. It is a major headache. Plus, legacy extensions pose problems and you have to get another extension to show the old extensions in the new extensions manager.

Also, on my W98SE box, I cannot upgrade beyond FF 0.8. I tried to put 0.9.2 on there and had a major mess because FF now puts its profile in the Mozilla folder and this, plus the fact that FF in 0.9.2 now has quick start like Mozilla 1.5 and above have, caused Mozilla 1.5 to open 6 instances! FF never would open and Mozilla (the 6 instances) was running silently in the background and would not actually run where I could use it because it protested that FF was using its profile. That is a known bug already reported. So, for you to say that everyone should just get the latest FF is not a good idea. I also cannot put Mozilla 1.7 on that old box. So, what has happened is that Spyware Blaster for FF and Mozilla is just on W2000/XP. That is ok since it is just cookies.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset if they didn't have Spyware Blaster working on Firefox and mozilla. Those browsers have excellent, very easy to use cookie control so what does anyone need Spyware Blaster for on those browsers anyhow?

Spyware Blaster is indispensible because it is needed for IE whether or not you use IE but it is not needed for the little it does on Firefox and Mozilla and certainly is not worth hassling with upgrading those browsers to get it work. It is quite nice if it does work though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.