Another encryption thread - What software should I use?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Overdone, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Overdone

Overdone Registered Member

I need to create an encrypted folder to store some files (I'll store said folder in the cloud).. I've a decision to make: What encryption software to use? I'm a linux user so I don't really care about being able to use the encryption software in windows.

What would your advice be for me? Should I use truecrypt? Should I use Veracrypt? Should I use something else? What would you do if you had to make such decision (which you probably do)?

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

You have mentioned a few programs which are good. I am responding here to remind you that the "transfer" of that data from your machine to the cloud presents a risk as well. What I mean; is that you would be much better off to COMPLETELY package/encrypt the data on your local machine, and then move it to the cloud. Should any "pick off" happen along the route to the cloud the completed encryption would leave your adversary without anything useful. In this model you would manage the folder/data locally and then simply copy it to the cloud as a backup. Safe as can be!!

I don't know how large the folder is going to be and that might determine which software approach to use. If its quite large you can interval it so you don't waste time saving/transferring stuff you already have in the cloud.

I am on linux and I use TrueCrypt and PGP (actually gpg). You might find that PGP, which runs really slick on linux, is extremely fast for you. If its configured to use your private key by default it is one click to encrypt your folder. With a heavily encrypted keyset your data will not be at any risk. Give it a look, its fast and easy to store needed files/folders with encryption. To use the data you would bring it back down from the cloud and then decrypt it locally. Again, the secret is that only your private local machine will ever have access to the "plain text" data. You absolutely must have the private and full keyset in pgp(gpg) to access your data. Even with your keyset you would need to know the password, which hopefully is of significant strength.

I know this is repetitive but I wanted you to visualize this. You can have a regular folder if you want in the cloud. Inside that folder you can upload/download PGP encrypted files as needed. Nobody can do anything with them but you. There would be no need to waste bandwidth/time moving large files UP repetitively when they are already snug in the cloud. Make sense?

If you need further help let us know.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. Overdone

Overdone Registered Member

@Palancar:

I'll indeed encrypt/decrypt on my machine and then, every week or so, move the encrypted file to the cloud as to have a backup of it.

The size of the folder will be around 50mb or 100mb, not much really.

GPG seems like a viable alternative to Truecrypt, though it seems harder to use. I'll have a look at it (I've never used it to encrypt files),

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Look at KGpg which is free and frontends gpg. It functions as a GUI.

If you use ubuntu its in the repos. I just did a thread about it down in the linux forum. My bud, Mirimir and I have been playing with it and its working fine.

50 meg is small but you may find your needs grow over time. I have used both TC and PGP for well over a decade. They won't let you down!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.