Another defrag question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrfargoreed, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've tried PerfectDisk and UltimateDefrag on my system and neither really makes much of a difference and I even find that PD slows my machine.

I installed O&O Defrag and was very impressed with it's results - I noticed a speed difference. I set the program to ignore the ISR folder (same as PD).

However, I get the common ckhdsk error when O&O scanes my C: drive. I've ran chkdsk with no errors. I've ran Spinrite - no errors. I've repaired my MBR (supposed to fix O&O's chkdsk error problem). I'm still getting the error.

My question is: is FDISR interfering with O&O in some way? If there are no errors reported on my disk, then is FDISR the problem? Is it safe to ignore O&O's chkdsk warning and defrag my C: drive anyway?

I know that PD complements FDISR, but I just don't like the way it defrags my system. When PD reports no fragmentation, O&O and UD report a high fragmentation on the same drives.

Anyone else have a problem with O&O? I know the chkdsk problem is one that is often mentioned (Googling gives many, many results), but could it be that FDISR is interfering with O&O?

Many thanks in advance, as always.

Note: One factor that may be causing conflict is that I have installed Vista with FDISR and there have been many reboots, hangs and freezes since Vista installed. Although the Vista snapshot seems to be ok now, the installation was horrendous :'( .

2. crotale26

crotale26 Registered Member

hello.

i have already tried O&O and perfect disk, and i have had troubles with both.

now i use contig 1.54 ( 01.net ) with an Graphic user interface, i have found in a forum.

it's simple to use and it works very well :

you copy the 2 files in a same directory ; you create a link for the GUI on your desktop and go

you can defragment

bye

Attached Files:

3. mrfargoreed

Hey crotale26!

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to exclude files and folders with contig? Using FDISR I need to excluse a few files before I defrag.

I'm going to download and try for myself in the mean time. :thumb:

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi mrfargoreed

I use PD with no problem, but I wanted to test the new O&O defragger. I didn't bother excluding anything. No problems with FDISR, no chkdsk, just nothing to justify spending money either.

My hunch is your problem lies with the Vista mess. I did an upgrade to Vista on my machine(no it's not there now), and it was pretty straight forward. I had to uninstall some stuff first, and update some drivers, but beyond that straight forward. FDISR worked fine. Vista, now thats something else.

Pete

5. mrfargoreed

Hi Peter2150

I've reformatted and reinstalled Vista on a nice scrubbed hard drive. A couple of hangs with Vista, but overall it's running better.

Not sure about Vista yet, but again the beauty of FDISR means I can just delete a snapshot and it's gone forever.

I might retry PerfectDisk again now that my machine seems to be running more smoothly.

Thanks for your advice :thumb:

6. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

The downside is if you use perfect disk you can't use returnil as there is a conflict that the developer won't fix. :(

7. Peter2150

I am using Perfect Disk with Returnil. No problem at all.

8. Horus37

Wonder if the compatibility has been fixed because as of early july you couldn't do offline defrags with PD8 with returnil installed. Did they come out with a new build finally of returnil that solved that? What build of returnil do you have?

9. Peter2150

Final build 1.7.0.6277

I assume when you tried offline defrag, protection was turned off.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Have latest with 1.7.0.7502 !

11. mrfargoreed

I was determined to sort out this little problem with O&O, but sadly it's still reporting a chkdsk error even after a reformat and clean install - the solution was to get rid of O&O.

Installed PerfectDisk again and let it run. I then fired up Ultimate Defrag and this time it reported the same level of fragmentation as PD, so perhaps there was a genuine disk error somewhere.

What I also noticed when opening UltimateDefrag is that it displays a diagram of how the data is stored on your hard drive. With PerfectDisk, the data was all placed to the outer edge of the disk, most frequently used at the outer edge, something that the UD's documentation says will allow faster access to the data. With O&O the diagram was the opposite - all data was on the inside of the hard drive, which would allegedly cause slower access according to UD's informative help file.

I'm now using PerfectDisk as my main defrag software again. :thumb:

12. Horus37

Yes. However just today I had it confirmed by Coldmoon that they STILL recommend NOT using offline defrags if you use perfect disk and returnil.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Maybe fingers crossed for next time but i did offline defrag with PD with Returnil on it,and sofar no problems,but add that i have protection off at boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.