Another BSOD!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by xMarkx, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

Today I updated my Google Earth (ver 4.3) to the most recent version (ver 5.0).

After it finished downloading and installing, I restarted my machine which is: Dell Dimension 8400, Windows XP Home Edition SP3 32-bit, with all the latest Windows Updates installed.

As the computer was turning on, I got the Blue Screen of Death.

0x0000050 (0xBAD0B148, 0x0000000, 0x805BB45E, 0x000002)
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I turned my PC off and turned it back on. I booted it up as "last known good configuration".

I checked event viewer just now, and no bugcheck... is this because I booted up in last known good configuration?

The last time I got the BSOD was in December during the installation of iTunes 8. That was a different BSOD (0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x805a3a9f, 0xaf99b804, 0x00000000) but do you think somehow the two might be related?

Any help would be much appreciated. I will provide more information if needed.

Thanks.

--->I am going to try and open Google Earth now and see what happens... omg this is weird it's at version 5 still but wouldn't it have rolled back?...

PLEASE NOTE: There was no minidump file in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump for the BSOD today (but there was one for the one in December.) So I can't analyze it... :/

Do you think that restoring to "last known good configuration" was good enough or should I completely remove Google Earth (as this probably caused the problem)

What do I do?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

See if any of these GOOGLE links will help.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Thank you, I will check those out. But I really need more help than that.

I can't reinstall windows as Dell didn't provide the windows CD. I can't get a new computer. Hopefully these 2 solutions won't be necessary...

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Dell does not come with a hidden, or non-hidden restore partition? o_O

Very few if any manufacturers come with a restore CD anymore. Or they cost extra to order one. :shifty:

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

This computer was purchased in June 2005. I'm not sure if it came with a hidden or non-hidden restore partition. I don't really want to reinstall the whole OS unless I have to.

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

When Windows does not generate a typical minidump, the actual dump file can be found written as a .tmp file to \Windows. The file name begins with "DUMP." Change the extension to .dmp and WinDbg will accept it.

"Last Known Good Configuration", I believe, merely restores the registry.

Nick

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

I checked the WINDOWS folder for a file with the name of DUMP but there was nothing.

Also, if last known good configuration just restores the registry, wouldn't it then take away the registry keys for Google Earth resulting in it not being able to function? Or restore them to the way the were before (ver 4.3, not ver 5.0 but it's still at ver 5.0)?

Mark.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

"Last Known Good Configuration" restores the registry only to your last successful boot cycle. I would first reinstall the latest Google Earth and then uninstall it (if you feel Google Earth was the cause of your BSOD). Doing so should generally clean your registry of Google Earth.

9. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

How come when I try to look up the parameters of the Blue Screen, 0x805BB45E for example, on Google, I only get 2 hits?

Also, you said that there should be a DUMP file but I can't find it.. is it there somewhere?

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

The parameters are generally not helpful without a dump file. If this were my machine I would check out the hardware...run chkdsk against your hard drive and run Memtest86+ against your memory. How current are your video drivers?

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I decided to do an in-depth scan with NOD32 and it found something.

First virus I've had in over a year... do you think this is the cause of the BSOD?

What is it? Here's the description from Quarantine:

Object Name: C:\I386\GTDownDE_87.ocx
    Reason: Probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent application

Thanks!

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That's software installed by Dell...for their remote support agent. It's generally labeled as unwanted by many antivirus programs.

If you go to add/remove programs and uninstall the Dell Remote Agent, you'll find it's all gone. You probably won't miss it either...I don't know a single person that ever used remote support agents for any desktop PC with the vendors support line.

Has your PC continued to blue screen? Or was it just that one time? Google Earth can push your system a bit...I recommend ensuring you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, and the latest video drivers.

13. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

So far, it's only blue screened once. But I haven't been on it since last night (I'm on my Vista right now).

I guess my video card drivers are kinda old.

I will check to see if I have the Dell Remote Agent installed on my PC.

14. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I went to add/remove programs and looked for "Dell Remote Agent" but I couldn't find it. The only Dell things were (quite a few!): Dell Digital Jukebox Driver, Dell Driver Reset Tool, Dell Media Experience, Dell Picture Studio v3.0, Dell System Restore, and finally DellSupport.

Also, for Google Earth, I'm supposed to be able to view underwater. When I zoom in on the water, it doesn't go underneath. How do I look under water in Google Earth? Is mine not working properly or something (because of BSOD?) or perhaps I just don't know how to do it and if so how do I do it?
    Thanks.

15. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Are you sure you don't have an XP reinstallation CD? I have an 8400 (purchased in 9/2004) and it came with a cd.

16. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I went to add/remove programs and looked for "Dell Remote Agent" but I couldn't find it. The only Dell things were (quite a few!): Dell Digital Jukebox Driver, Dell Driver Reset Tool, Dell Media Experience, Dell Picture Studio v3.0, Dell System Restore, and finally DellSupport.

Also, for Google Earth, I'm supposed to be able to view underwater. When I zoom in on the water, it doesn't go underneath. How do I look under water in Google Earth? Is mine not working properly or something (because of BSOD?) or perhaps I just don't know how to do it and if so how do I do it?
    Thanks.

No, I do not have an XP reinstallation CD. I bought my Dell Dimension 8400 in June 2005. I'm from Canada if that makes a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.