Another Blue Error Screen...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bgfalconboy, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

I thought I did this correctly but I'm not sure. What line am I editing exactly? I didn't get any greyed out items when I did it. As far as ZA leftovers , I did one of the un-install processes that someone here gave me and I believe I got everything but who knows.

2. bgfalconboy

I thought I did this correctly but I'm not sure. What line am I editing exactly? I didn't get any greyed out items when I did it. As far as ZA leftovers , I did one of the un-install processes that someone here gave me and I believe I got everything but who knows.

These instructions are what I used to get rid of the ZA crap.
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have used that method and another one to remove ZA. We will assume you followed the procedure I suggested and it did it`s job properly. Also that there are no left over drivers from any other uninstalled hardware.

Run memtest as Ronjor suggested. That will rule out the memory as a possible cause.

Just incase back up your favorites as GlobalForce suggested.

If you really want to dig deep go here and follow the instructions.

4. bgfalconboy

Ok, downloaded Memtest but havent run it yet. Downloaded the debugging tools from microsoft and the DebugWiz program as well. Problem though, when I open DebugWhiz in the bar where it says "location of the debugging tools for windows" ,it says "debugging tools not found, please please install the tools. The link takes me to the page I downloaded the tools from already. Somehow it seems DebugWhiz is not recognizing the MS debugging tools. So now what?

5. ThunderZ

It is very possible one of your security apps. blocked a proper install. Perhaps someone who may have experienced this type of error can shed some light. I find little info. on that error using Google

Another question. In Task manager do you have any unknown\unidentifiable processes?

Go ahead and run memtest as well.

6. bgfalconboy

The only security I have left running now is Spyware Blaster, Spyware Terminator, and Avira free. I did just very recently installed A-squared to look for a malware problem. All I got from the a-squared was a false positive. I only have Windows Firewall as well since uninstalling OA free.

7. ThunderZ

It is possible the HIPS feature blocked part of the install. Possibly even the AV.

8. bgfalconboy

I turned off Avira's guard and ST's HIPS and real-time feature and did a "Repair" of the debugging tools and DebugWhiz is still not recognizing the tools. Do I need to do a re-download next??:doubt:

9. bgfalconboy

Not that I can see. Here's screenshot to help anyone diagnosis something that I might miss.
    taskmanager-1-10-09.jpg

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

BGFB,

In the time you've wasted, fresh install. In the long run it's easier to accept, and address.

11. ThunderZ

44 processes? Are you the only user of this lap top? If not then there are more running as you did not have "Show processes from all users" check marked.

Done of them, assuming they are all in the locations they should be, seem to be malware related, though many are probably unnecessary. That decision is up to you, your research and experimentation.

When you use the lap top where\how is it setting? Is it lying flat? On a hard surface, a soft surface? Wondering if heat is not an issue? Have you ever used a can of compressed air to clean out the ventilation slots?

12. ThunderZ

:D .....and unless hardware related usually fixes a myriad of problems.

13. bgfalconboy

Yes, I'm the only user. I've never used compressed air to clean out the slots though which is something I should probably do.

Here is an updated screenshot with "all users" checked.
    There is only one process that you can't see and that is CMPWI.exe which is my pantech pc card.
    taskmanager-1-10-09.jpg

14. ThunderZ

Would sure look into trimming your processes down. Your PC will thank you for it. As well as the compressed air and where\how your laptop is setting when in use.

I am hoping this is either a heat issue or software conflict. Not failing hardware.

Do not recall if you said all drivers were up to date. Espicially graphics card.

15. bgfalconboy

I'll need some help in finding out what processes I should delete or shut down. As far as drivers, I've never updated any hardware drivers such as a graphics card or anything like that. I even tried looking for updated sound card drivers via the troubleshooting windows for the card but to no avail.

16. ThunderZ

That is where Google and a little experimentation are your best bet.

Windows update is the easiest way. Then either the laptops website or the cards manufacturers website. The last two probably being your best option. IMO

17. bgfalconboy

Thanks, I'll try those places for drivers. Another little thing that has happened occasionally and just happened while I was online is my taskbar scheme changing and sprint connection manager cutting off my connection and not being able to dial back in until I restarted.

18. bgfalconboy

Well, downloading the latest audio driver from Dell site got my audio back finally. So that appears fixed for now.

19. ThunderZ

May be heading in the right direction. Not convinced yet though. A suggestion. Just in case a reformat is the end decision, hang on to all the driver update packages. Throw them on a CD or other form of back-up. They`ll be handy to have around.

I would look for the graphics driver next.

20. bgfalconboy

I finally ran the memory test for about 3 hrs and came up with no errors. I plan to sometime test it overnight as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.