Anonymous offshore proxy & offshore e-mail

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by TheGhost, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGhost

TheGhost Registered Member

Like many of you, i'm very keen on protecting my privacy. I live in a European country and i don't trust my government or Brussels.

Unfortunately my knowledge about computer privacy is very little, so i hope you guys can help me out a bit.
    What i need is:
    - Anonymous offshore e-mail account, in a country like Hong Kong, Belize etc.
    Payment by western union, SSL or other encryption, no record storage like when i logged in with which IP address etc.

- Anonymous offshore proxy, also in an offshore jurisdiction like Hong Kong.
    Payment by wetsern union, Highly encrypted, no records etc.

I found some companies who offer these services, trilightzone.org pretty much offers everything i need. But can i trust them? Because they only exist in "cyberspace".

katzglobal.com
    privacy.li
    trilightzone.org
    anonymizer.com (not really offshore and they snoop in your records and emails, pro-actively work together with the gov.)

What do you recommend me?

2. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

Welcome to wilders, your've made the first good choice in finding a good forum.

Avoid privacy.il and trilightzone.com like the plague, they are the scum of the internet, not only are will the hold their customers to blackmail if they speak ill of their services but are plain racist, have a quick read through their forums, they have also been known to be a honeypot.

It all depends upon what your looking for in anonymous surfing, have a look at JAP, secure-tunnel (us based), metropipe (german based, servers in sweden).

for anonymous email there is anonymousspeech.com, lavabit, hushmail (some will say its not worth it after some user data was handed over but thats your call) or mutemail.

have a look through that and let us know what kind of service/expectation you have, we'll always be able to find you alot if not too much good information :D .

3. TheGhost

Now that's a helpful reply. Thanks.
    I will look into the companies that you recommended.

Within a few months I'm planning to setup my own private offshore proxy chain and offshore e-mail server with the help of a privacy expert. Until then i have to rely on other parties who offer these services.
    I have a lot to learn, this forum looks like the right place to start my journey.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Have you tried XeroBank.com?

5. markoman

markoman Registered Member

I am not sure I get what you are saying... you are going to start a company or you are going to install a proxy-chain and offshore email for yourself? If the latter, consider that it will be easy to connect such servers to you, making it easy to attack through legal actions. In such case, having the servers on the moon wouldn't make you any more secure.

6. TheGhost

Yeah i'm going to setup the proxy chain and e-mail server purely for myself.
    Most offshore jurisdictions offer anonymous dedicated servers, the company hosting the server will never know who you are. Payments are done through anonymous payment methods like e-gold, western union or cash by mail.

7. TheGhost

Thi is what i found in there TOS.

Prohibited Activity: XeroBank will not tolerate the use of our services for scams, fraud, theft, hacking, denial of service, spam, underage erotic materials, violence, or threats of violence. While XeroBank allows traffic to exit from non-originating countries, we insist that you abide by the laws of the jurisdiction from which you access XeroBank services. All incoming connections are known to XeroBank, and outgoing traffic can be traced by XeroBank. We employ the use of intelligent monitoring software to assist and notify XeroBank of such activities. In the case that our monitoring software flags traffic as suspicious or malicious, XeroBank may begin to log the traffic and/or dispatch a human auditor to determine the nature of the activity. If the activity is found to be non-malicious, the flags are removed, and the logs are wiped. Violation of these terms may result in immediate suspension, investigation, or notification of authorities.

I don't want any human editor to snoop around my traffic. This is not really anonymous.
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

8. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Try reading it again. You'll notice you don't raise any flags if you aren't a spammer/hacker. If you legitimately want anonymity you will get better protection nowhere else. If you are a spammer/hacker, you may just want to use tor like the rest do.

9. TheGhost

Maybe, but i really have a problem with "human editor" and "notification of authorities".
    What if i send an email to someone with the words rape, kill, fbi, wanted in it which raises a flag in your system. A human editor investigates it and finds out there is no relation between the words in the e-mail, there is no context. But, in the same email there is a extreme highly confidential message which may only be read by the other party. For example, someone has a company in the Seychelles and sends an e-mail to his lawyer in that same country. The e-mail raises a flag because of the words tax evasion, offshore, offshore banking, offshore account. While this is not illegal in the seychelles, it is illegal in the USA.

WHat is the use of this service if it can be reviewed by one of your employees, who might be overly patriotic and notify the authorities pro-actively?

10. markoman

I'm not here to defend Xerobank but, in general, if you are exchanging such information through email you had better use encryption, in the form of encrypted connection to server or, BETTER, the use of PGP/GnuPG

11. markoman

This setup won't make you any anonymous. Just think: your "anonymous" server will be reached only from one IP (yours) and the data going out from it will be only from one user (you)... not too hard to correlate outgoing traffic to the incoming encrypted stream...

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I didn't know that ... A bit too much Big Brother to me.

Although I don't know how they deal with encrypted communications. If they allow and can't read encrypted messages, the TOS becomes pretty much meaningless.

There is something to be said for security by obscurity. (Not great, but the same goes for 'hot' anonymity services)

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Just a suggestion: true anonymity is very hard, if not impossible to achieve.
    Your limited knowledge about 'computer privacy' certainly does not help.

Xerobank is supposedly one of the better services, and what you can read in this thread on XB or on the XB forum(s) does not encourage me to use the service.

With these services, it seems you have to 'trust' at least one party, which has pretty much complete access to all your communications, although I don't know how encryption factors in.

Again, 'security by obscurity' is far from perfect, but not entirely without merit.

Often the 'payment' can identify the user. In which European country do you live in that does not require your personal details for Western Union transfer ? :cautious:

I don't know what you are trying to protect. 'What i need is' sounds demanding. More limited anonymity or good encryption may be more feasible.

14. SteveTX

We don't read the contents of your email. We look for spammers by noticing if someone is sending out 20,000 emails per hour. That would be something the system would flag. Content? No. Context, yes.

We aren't located in the US, and we don't presume you are either. We don't read your traffic or email. Anyway, check out who our ethics advisor is, he is our human auditor. Do a google on him :)

15. caspian

caspian Registered Member

And if someone was using Xerobank to hack into your computer, would the system be able to detect that also?

16. SteveTX

Lets differentiate between hacking and just stupidity. Port scanning? Sure we can see that. That is a loud and clear flag of illegitimate traffic. Hacking attacks on targets? No, that just looks like telnet or ftp or http or something else that is legitimate.

17. box750

box750 Registered Member

Lavabit is not an anonymous email provider, I have an account with them and they send out your home IP header with the emails.

18. Bubumu12

Bubumu12 Registered Member

Make sure you are sending emails from offshore. As far as I know Hushmail is located in Canada and Anonymousspeech.com in Malaysia. I normally use anonymousspeech.com since its far far away from the US

19. box750

box750 Registered Member

Anonymousspeech is bound to Swiss law even if their servers are located in Malaysia. I would guess that they are probably also bound to Malaysia law since their servers are located within reach of the Malaysian Government.

http://anonymousspeech.com/anonymous_email_facts_legal.aspx

Located in Switzerland, AnonymousSpeech is governed by Swisslaw and only reports to official Swiss government agencies

20. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

@ SteveTX

If I build a PokerBot and screenscrape multi table sessions and I use Xerobank for a proxy,
    will I be flagged for review?

Western Union has been a gold mine of inteligence gathering since before WW1.
    Although rewiring all telegraph poles to a central system was a bit obvious.

21. SteveTX

No, that's fine. But you may want to get a business account if you are going through lots of traffic or need lots of IPs. Business intelligence gathering and defeating web blocking is what our business services are for.

22. securedude

securedude Registered Member

Anonymousspeech.com seems to be the leader in anonymous email. I have seen them around for years and they score high at google for anonymous email, hosting and domain registration.

Note that they are moving their server frequently around the globe, which is a unique and more anonymous approach then many other "pseudo anonymous" services.

23. stap0510

stap0510 Registered Member

This sounds abit like a "fata morgana" without knowing what the hell this is about....to me.
    That "Anonymousspeech.com scores high at google for anonymous email" doesn´t tell us anything tangible
    The only thing it tells us is that they are high up in the results over at Google's, nothing more or less. With good Search Enging Optimalization you will get the same effect.
    But it doesn't tell us anything about the quality of service or the technical background of their service.

Concerning Swiss law, you know that even Swiss' bank secrecy is gone since this year.
    I know, because I´m a permanent residence of the Netherlands, that they´ve made a deal to exchange bank-acount-information with the Dutch governemnt.
    So the Swiss aren't the best offshore option as the were a decade ago.
    Same goes for Malaysia. They are perhaps still only nice for choosing as part of a larger construction that involves other countries aswell, but just on their own they aren´t.

If you want to go for good solid offshore|privacy legislation, then only Liechtenstein and Panama comes to my mind in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.