anonymous email client.

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by iceni60, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if i setup thunderbird and JAP together, i should be anonymous to the receiver, i think? but, what about my ISP?

2. JAPandemail

JAPandemail Guest

Are you sure you can do that?

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I believe there are other easier methods of doing so.

Jimbob

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

no. never tried it. how do you set it up through proxies?

5. japandemail

japandemail Guest

Using JAP with other programs
    Which applications can be anonymized with JAP?

Technically, any program that supports the SOCKS protocol could be anonymized with JAP. However, our mix cascades intentionally only support classical internet surfing (in other words the request for information from the WWW, not the distribution of it) in the browser, in other words, http, https, and ftp. For the following protocols:

File sharing and other peer-to-peer programs (for example, KaZaa, Morpheus, EDonkey)?

No, anonymization is not possible! The potential for abuse (for example, in the form of copyright infringement) is too high and we want to use our limited personel resources for the research project rather than for dealing with complaints.

Furthermore, such services require a very large bandwidth and thus cause significant costs.
    E-mail, chat systems, or instant messenger programs (for example, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo Messenger)?

No, a direct anonymization is not possible! We do not support such service directly because the potential for abuse (for example, in the form of spamming in e-mail or harrasment in chat or IM systems) is too high and we don't want to tie up our limited resources with dealing with complaints.

Sending and receiving e-mail can be accomplished with webmail services, however. One could create an account with various e-mail providers (yahoo, hotmail, usw.) and access it with a web browser.

Please note that if you send or receive e-mails with the e-mail program included in the web browser, you may also have to configure this program to not use a proxy.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your clear reply JAP&E :cool:

im going to email different colleges and i dont want them to have all the information that email client's headers carry, will i be more anonymous if i send them emails through a web-based service, with no proxy?

i heard that JAP and TOR might be getting together, so it will be possible to use TOR's servers while using JAP. do you know anything about that? thanks.

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

If that's all you want, sign up for a free account at www.mailvault.com - use the no encryption mode and your IP will be hidden.
    Good luck findning a college!
    Gerard

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Thanks for that, just registered an account, after I happened to stumple accross this thread.

Jimbob

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thank you, Gerard. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.