Anonymizer Software Security Breach?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Spacer007, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacer007

Spacer007 Registered Member

I recently installed Anonymizer Safer Surfing Suite because some web sites were being by my web browser, spyware blocker or Norton 360. E.g. Office Depot.com for one but others too. This new software did allow access to sites that were being blocked including a bank site. Based on that I processed an order for their Total Net Shield via Pay Pal. The order was processed OK and O installed the S/W. I was shocked to get an email from Pay Pay that says that a 3rd party had attempted to access my account and they had put a block on my account. I had to change password, security questions confirmed email address and telephone. Pay Pay pointed at the Anonymizer purchase as the problem and continue to block my account until they get an answer from Anonymizer about the incident. WOW!!

I now worry that other banking transactions I have had have also been breached. I will change all my passwords and cancel the subscription I purchased. Does anyone else have experience with another vendor that they could recommend. I like the idea of a tunnel in addition to a proxy.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This isn't a problem with Anonymizer, it's a problem with Paypal. They will frequently suspend accounts if they detect access from any anonymous proxy.

Now there may be a justification if a specific address is linked to repeated fraud, but wholesale blocking will affect innocent, privacy-conscious users. However Paypal isn't really concerned about collateral damage as a visit to the PaypalSucks website should show.
    Don't bother. Instead, consider carefully how important your Paypal account is. If you use it to receive incoming payments for example, then you are going to have to compromise and set your system up so that Paypal is not accessed via a proxy - either disable Anonymizer manually (and remember to switch it back on afterwards!) when accessing Paypal or, if possible, configure Anonymizer's software to exempt Paypal access (I don't use Anonymizer so can't help further on this).

If you only use Paypal to make payments, then there is no need to "maintain" an account with them at all. Get a credit card that offers a virtual account number facility (see here for some suggestions) and an email address that allows unlimited aliases (SpamGourmet being a good, free service) - with these you just create a new Paypal account for each payment you make (delete any existing Paypal cookie, select a new credit card number and email address and use these to create a new Paypal account).

As the first payment will always go through (assuming you use a valid credit card), you can forget about subsequent activation, "20 Dumb ID Questions" or monthly password/secret info changes. The virtual card numbers should expire in a month meaning that you're protected in the event of Paypal having their system compromised (you shouldn't even need to bother closing the account afterwards - just forget it since it will have no subsequent value to a criminal). More importantly, you won't have to give Paypal bank account details or other personal info and they won't be able to track your purchase history as easily.

This is the tactic I use which began when they started suspending an account that I had used for several months, even reversing a legitimate transaction on one occasion. For payments only, it is less hassle in the long term to use Paypal as a online financial condom - use once, wipe yourself clean then throw away. ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  3. Spacer007

I sent Anonymizer Tech Support and email about my problem with PayPal and another problem with the use of Total Net Shield. I got answer in less then 24 hours and confirmed the problem with PayPal and suggested I disable their software for PayPay only since PapPal can't deal with multiple proxy IP addresses. They also told me how to fix the problem I had with Total Net Sheild (SSH tunnel). It worked and I'm happy with the solution and their software. I am not experiencing and slowdown with connections with this software. I consider this problem closed. Thanks for your posts.

Spacer007

4. Spacer007

Re Paranoid2000 Post to my problem: Thanks for the post. I have chosen to disable the Anonymizer proxy for PayPal transactions. I do deal PP frequently because of ebay and other activities and I find it convenient to use. That is if they remove my block!! I will look at your other suggestions. Thanks!!

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Hey I had this happen with a purchase of a Rapidshare account. It was awful. After 3 days and no help from their website, I had to call Paypal and speak to a rep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.