anonymizer.com - Can They Be Trusted?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've read a few interesting things online, this being one;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294557

But I'm not sure if this Wilders post means or says much...

I've heard information before that this is not a company to be trusted, that they have government ties, or a possible honey pot, so I'd like to finally bring closure to this, if anyone has such legit information online we can tie to this company.

Thanks...

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

No.
    :thumbd:

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Anonymizer does a lot of logging, and yes, in the past they have worked closely with various agencies. But, they are not ran by one nor are they a honeypot.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sounds good, but let's please keep the information flowing if there is anything more on them...

5. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

Two years ago I received some training from a high-tech crimes section of a local law enforcement agency and was told Anonymizer was presented with a search warrant, and the law enforcement agency was told to pound sand. Surprised me.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I don't know what pound sand is suppose to mean?

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Pounding sand just makes finer sand. Maybe it means that you can't compact it like clay. I'm not really sure either, I guess. English :eek:

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Pound sand basically means "bug off". And cooperation with LE depends on what is being investigated and by whom.

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ahh ok bugger off... :D

Anyhow, sounds like information heard two years ago and without knowing all the facts, this doesn't mean much of anything.

We need to know past or present day facts that can be verified some how, some way, if anything exists out there on the web...

10. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

The LE agency only works low level crimes, like online auction fraud, craigslist scams etc.. I wouldn't dismiss my information as trvial, early 2010 is still current and I doubt Anonymizer's policies have changed. That, and what other agencies are you aware of would admit they were easily defeated?

I think dw426 is correct - I guess it would depend on the crime. The LE agency also said unless it's a major crime, budgetary constraints also weigh heavily on their use of search warrants; and I'm sure that applies to ever LE agency around. They tried Anonymizer since it was within driving distance.

I can also tell you first-hand that while in theory, search warrants, court ordesr and Subpoena's should work - they routinely do not.

Several years back I used to use Anonymizer until it became a resource hog after their "upgrade" or new format, whatever they called it.

11. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

From Lance Cottrell's The Privacy Blog
    From Wikipedia:

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I asked some questions and received this back;

1. A lot of compamies talk about anonymity with their services, but most of it is just 'Pseudo-Anonymity', so how do you provide this
    anonymity? It looks like all you do is just share different dynamic, or static ips that get changed all the time, therefore you're calling this anonymity and if that's all there is to this anonymity technology you're offering, this is not true anonymity.

Anonymizer Universal changes the IP address to foil profiling and creates an encrypted tunnel between the PC and our servers to shield browsing activity from the ISP.

2. What exit countries are offered, it looks like you are in the USA with only USA servers?

All Anonymizer IP addresses are registered in the United States. Our business division has additional options.

3. Where is your business physically located, or rather where is your business incorporated, doing business through what country?

Anonymizer is a U.S. company with locations in California and Virginia.

4. How are subpoenas handled?

As we are a US company that is required to address a subpoena submitted to the fullest of the law it is required that we disclose the information requested. As the logs we maintain of each customer's personal usage are limited to login to the service, the information we are able to provide is limited. We can confirm if a person is a customer but cannot confirm that a particular user is on a particular site at a particular time. Please note that Anonymizer reserves the right to monitor anonymous emails for abuse. If new laws are enacted in the future that would require further tracking or logs than those given above we would reevaluate our current services and change those services to such point that we may discontinue those services. Anonymizer is dedicated to maintain the ability of our customers to remain anonymous and secure during browsing activities. Our company is the longest standing anonymous service, since 1997. This tradition and longevity could not have persisted if our reputation had been tarnished by abusing or disclosing the anonymity we provide.
    https://www.anonymizer.com/company/legal/privacy_policy.html
    https://www.anonymizer.com/company/legal/terms_of_use.html

5. How are law enforcement requests handled?

A subpoena is required to provide information.

6. Have you ever cooperated with law enforcement?

Yes, of course.

7. Has any customer identity or traffic ever been compromised?

No.

8. Do you inform your clients if a subpoena for their information is served?

To the extent allowed by the subpoena, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.