Android Tablet Registration?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, does anyone know if you can skip registering an android tablet when first opening and still be able to use it for at least web browsing? I don't have a gmail account and thought it was required but was not sure if there was any way to avoid it as I don't want one. I mainly want to try an inexpensive tablet like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7' that I saw on sale at Costco for 219.99 and just use it for web browsing from the couch. I know it is probably pointless anyway as I am sure Google already knows everything about me but I hate the idea of having to register something I buy anyway. Thanks.

2. Niels

Niels Registered Member

The registration is only necessary, if you want able to download apps from the Google Play Store, Google calendar, Google Mail. You can surf, watching movies, playing music, ... without registering.

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Niels is 100% correct with his reply.... :thumb:

4. roark37

Thanks for the replies as that is not the answer I was expecting as every "How to Set up Android" type article I have seen seems to say once turned on for 1st time it makes you go through set up and if you don't have gmail account create one. If it does at first prompt you to set up/register then is there a skip or later button or something? Or does it not even ask you to do those things when first turned on?

Also, if I did create gmail account/register do you know if you can download free apps without a credit card on file?

Thanks again.

5. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Most definitely... :thumb:

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

You don't have to create a Gmail account to be able to use your Android tablet. You tablet will work without registering first, when you start it for the first time.

7. roark37

Thanks again for the replies but a couple more questions:

Although I used Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 as the example would your answers also apply to the Google Nexus 7 tablet? I assume they would as I think they use the same operating system.

And if any of you have used Galaxy Tab 2 how does it compare to Nexus 7 or ipad in terms of smooth quick scrolling & browsing speed?

Thanks.

8. Niels

Niels Registered Member

There are only two important Tablet Operating Systems (OS): Apple's iOS (Ipad's) and Google's Android (other tablets on the market). The Google Nexus tablet has the newest Android OS code name "Jelly Bean". Most of the other tablets are still using "Ice Cream Sandwich" a previous version.

To get a smooth performance you need at least a dual core processor. For example Nividia Tegra 2 , Texas OMAP 4 , ...
    I own a cheap single core no brand tablet, when I try to multitask I notice a slowdown, for example switching between app's, swiping is also slow.

The Nexus tablet has a quadcore processor, the Samsung Galaxay Tab 2 has only a dual core processor. I would definitely choose for the Nexus. The nexus has only 1 camera, you can't expand the internal memory by using a micro-sd card.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

In my experience (Smartphones) you can skip the registration whenever you want but you won't be able to download apps from the Play Store. :)

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The first thing you do, is to "root". Then have all the fun in life.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.