Android attack software released

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Keyboard_Commando, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/android-attack-software-released-2041454.html

Interesting. Because whenever I go take a look at the anti-virus apps in the android market, the user comments section is always filled with people saying: "omg you noobs. everyone knows you dont need anti-virus for android. its linux lol morons" ... "this is just a waste of resources you dont need it" ... blah blah.

The article indicates a weakness in Android OS. But I am pretty paranoid about running my phone without any protection ... especially as I have one of the phones mentioned.

I am tempted to use a virus scanner 'on-demand' as a minimum. I haven't noticed any of the major names with products for Android OS. Norton, they have a beta application, but, looks like it is to protect personal info. Not sure if this has AV protection as I haven't tried it. here

Is the Android OS safe enough to not need an Anti Virus?

Any thoughts on this?

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

That article is not descriptive enough to make any kind of judgments. It, obviously, was written for computer illiterates. I wanna see the meat of how and why this exploit might work and under what conditions. If it is the same exploit I read about a few days ago, it requires the phone to be rooted (this would be true since it is a rootkit). Since most people do not root their phones, there is nothing for the average Joe to worry about. And those that do root their phones should know how to protect against this sort of thing.

Again I would like to see more details, but I am not going to go digging around to find it. If you have a more descriptive article, please post.

And, no, this rootkit does not mean one needs AV software. Rootkits are easy to defend against -- don't root your phone!

EDIT:

This is not an exploit at all -- it is a rootkit (which requires root access to install). So, essentially, these researchers are telling us that if one has root one can do anything to the device! You don't say! That's not news, that's mental masturbation from these researchers who were obviously just looking to make news with a story that's not really news at all.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

What you said seems to be true, chronomatic, and thanks for replying, there isn't really anything for those that haven't rooted their Android OS to worry about here. There isn't currently an exploit that can break out of the Android OS application sandboxing - from the small amount of reading I have done on this subject.

With current Android sales figures surely it becomes a bigger target for the bad guys. *Sigh*

---​

While looking around for info on this demo 'Android attack' ... I found a scenario that could arise, and one I hadn't considered before with my phone. Windows targetting malware lurking on the phone and waiting to pounce when the two are connected here.

At the moment there is hardly any definitive DOs and DON'Ts advice on the web for smartphone users. Maybe a/or some Wilders member(s) could jump on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.