andLinux - Run Linux natively inside Windows

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Something you may like:

andLinux is a very interesting project that allows you to run a complete Linux operating system on top of your Windows desktop, without bothering with partitioning, formatting, dual-booting etc. Just install the application and enjoy. You can also run individual applications from your desktop, just like any other Windows program.

If you're interested:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/andlinux.html

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Mrk,

If I am not mistaken, this feature is also present in Ubuntu.

3. Mrkvonic

Can you please explain what you mean?
    Mrk

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Ubuntu allows you to install it inside Windows without any partition etc. It creates a folder and you can access Ubuntu via program files. No need for dual boot or partitioning, it does run slow though compared to regular Ubuntu.

5. Mrkvonic

Are you talking about WUBI? If not, then please do LINK, I'm always looking forward to new stuff, hacks etc!!!

Mrk

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Thats right and it has existed for a while in Ubuntu.

7. Mrkvonic

Oh, I've written about it a while ago!

WUBI does require reboot to switch between operating systems. It's different from andLinux. It's slower because you're not using dedicated partitions to install Linux to them, but in all other aspects, it's a proper Linux.

Cheers,
    Mrk

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep, WUBI is for those who don't wish to go through the process of GRUB and partitioning.

9. Mrkvonic

For a moment I was afraid that was a nifty little tool out there that I did not know about :) Knowing it is WUBI makes me relax. It also means one less future review/tutorial to write ... I already have 5,667 in pipe ...
    Mrk

10. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Actually, you can do the same thing using Vbox.

Edit: My mistake. Seamless mode works with XP as guest with Ubuntu host but not the other way around. Seems Vbox is still working on this.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  11. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Is this similar to what CosMos did for parralell computing?
    Which allows Chaos to run on an active Windows system, though via cygwin.

This might be a good cross training tool for those wanting to get their feet wet in Linux, being windows only people, like me. The next best thing in a line of functionality, LiveCD, LiveHD and now Run with.

Cool tutorial.

12. Mrkvonic

Searching, a link please?
    Mrk

13. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I'm sorry, it's not cygwin, it's colinux based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAOS_(Linux_distribution)

http://midnightcode.org/projects/chaos/

14. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello,

From 8.04 its been possible to install Ubuntu within windows, and I found this article very useful when looking for guidance:

Installing a dual-boot with Windows without partitioning.

However, I found that it was a little neater to install it in a seperate partition first, away from the Windows partition using a partition editor (such as Acronis Disk Director) and then allow the install within windows to point there rather than have the ubuntu installation files (some 15GB) mixed in with the files in the Windows partion on my system. Doesnt make any difference but I wanted to keep both OS's on seperate partitions. I would recommend selecting the 30GB option (but 15GB will do) in Wubi and making a partition first according to the size of installation you want to make before installing within windows.

Installing within windows (XP in my case) also solved the problem of having the Acronis TI Startup Recovery Manager and the Grub loader being able to coexist together within Windows Boot Manager. Otherwise one would stop the other from working. This issue would happen when installing Ubuntu the "traditional way" from boot up.

Im running my system with a quad boot setup and they happily coexist together - and I can safely use Acronis TI to make backups/recover any of my Windows installations. Apologies for this slightly off topic response.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  15. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi,
    Just escaped from PDF thread...to take fresh air.

Nice review as usual.
    There is also Ulteo Virtual Desktop, quite popular in the french Linux community because the project is managed by one of the founder of Mandriva.

http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/home?autolang=en
    And Topologilinux
    http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

The main advantage of theses colinux based solutions is clear: no need full virtualization and the couple guest/host OS.
    On the other hand, i would not adopt this as a daily solution: instead of dual booting alternative, I'd rather a more simple strategy: each PC its OS, Windows for entertainment, and Linux/Solaris for serious tasks.
    But i am convinced that it could help and incited Windows users to practise their free will of responsible citizen, and not being prisoner of what mass consummering and marketing has decided for them.

rgds

16. Mrkvonic

Ulteo looks cool, gonna check it out ...

The only question is stability. andLinux is stable. colinux was not ... :(
    Will be interesting to see how Ulteo and Topologi behave.

Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.