Anchoring OutLook.pst

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by screamer, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Today I juggled, updated, imported & created so many snapshots that I started to become confused w/ what I was trying to do. In the end, I'm only missing this mornings mail. That's why I ask.
    Has anyone Anchored their Outlook.pst file? The one benefit I see is always having an updated mail folder in any snapshot. Are there any drawbacks?

tia,

...screamer

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I've had it anchored from the beginning with no problems. I suppose the only 'drawback' would be when you had an infected e-mail and it was triggered (by you or Preview) in all the snapshots, but if you keep your e-mail clean, then this is definitely the best approach, you get availability and no extra disk overhead.
    Jim

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I have all of my data, including my Outlook pst files, on a separate partition and independently backed up. So I don't have that problem and consider that to be the best approach.

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Same here - clean and simple

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't keep all the data separate, but for sure it is separately backed up. Very important.

6. crofttk

And above is your answer, IMO: if you anchor it, you need to back it up separately. Not much of a drawback since it ought to be backed up in any event. I can't come up with any other drawback applicable to what I consider the "normal" course of operations.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  7. screamer

I've got a Raid 0 config. So I don't want to play w/ any partitions. All my data is backed up to either a 250GB USB drive or my NAS, I alternate & double up.
    My early morning schedule is:

12A-1A Diskeeper (set & forget) C:\$ISR excluded
    1A-1:30 ewido
    1:30-2A NOD32 C:\$ISR excluded
    2A-2:30 Genie Back-Up C:\$ISR excluded
    3:30A-4A ATI
    5A FD-ISR Primary to Seconday SnapShot

I keep an archived copy on USB Drive of current (week of) SnapShot along w/ a copy of virgin XP SP2 and my machine as it came from Dell.

Two days ago, my primary snapshot became corrupt and backed up to my secondary. I tried booting to secondary instead of going to archived copy. I tried all day to fix machine and create a "good copy". When all was said and done, I imported a "clean copy from Sunday" and booted to it and was back in business. Strange thing is, when I tried to copy/update primary snapshot w/ "clean copy from Sunday" it was still corrupt.

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Here is another aproach, I share it here so you have at least heard about it:

I stopped using pop3 mailservers and have all my e-mail on a IMAP server. This means that no e-mail is downloaded and stored on my system. It doesn't matter which e-mail client I like to use today (Outlook Express? Thunderbird? Linux? FreebSD? Browser?), as long as it supports IMAP.
    And of course it doesn't matter where I open my e-mail (different snapshot? different system? different location?)

I use IMAP at www.fastmail.fm

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

This thread must interest you:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=138379

10. screamer

Strange thing is, when I tried to copy/update primary snapshot w/ "clean copy from Sunday" it was still corrupt.

===================================

The only thing I can think of is that the "primary snapshot" wasn't completely cleaned / erased when updated by the "clean copy from Sunday"

wilbertnl, thanks for the reference :)

...screamer

11. crofttk

Looks like you're both backing up and imaging every night, so that's pretty good coverage for your Oulook.pst and, in your case, it wouldn't be too bad an idea to just anchor Outlook.pst.

As far as the corrupted snapshot, in that case, I guess my next step would have been to copy the snapshot from Sunday into an EMPTY snapshot, boot into it and, if that went OK, then delete the old Primary Snapshot and rename the snapshot you just booted into to "Primary Snapshot".

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I did the same as crofftk, except that I use Thunderbird.
    I cut/pasted the entire folder "profiles" of Thunderbird (and Firefox) to my data partition [D:] and did some changes in the file "profiles.ini" of Thunderbird (and Firefox) on my system partition [C:] to refer to the new folder.

The rest of my data is moved by changing the default folder in the settings of each software and that keeps my winXPproSP2 stable.

There are of course softwares that don't have a default folder in their settings, like Acrobat Reader, Notepad, ...
    In that case you have to go to your own folder to store a document, but you have to do the same thing on your system partition [C:], so there is no difference.

My personal data isn't only stored on a separate partition, but also on a separate harddisk.
    I don't anchor anything in FD-ISR and I feel very reassured, since I've done this months ago and it means for me also total freedom on my system partition [C:].
    I just don't care anymore what happens to my system partition [C:], if FD-ISR doesn't save me, ATI will do it and my data is on another harddisk. :)

13. screamer

I just added Outlook.pst to the Anchored items

That's what I finally wound up doing after recovering from my state of confusion .

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.