An ongoing problem with the OSS

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by John Farrar, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

I purchased Disk Director Suite some months ago (now up to v9.0 build 537) to mainly use the OSS to enable a dual boot from 2 installations of Windows XP Pro on 2 separate hardrives. Both OSs were already installed on the PC before I installed DDS and OSS but the latter still only recognises one OS and a Floppy Drive in the GUI.

I think I have installed 2 or 3 upgrades and none has solved this problem. o_O Why is this and how come OSS still cannot find 2 OS on my PC? I now use OSLoader to do what I want; i.e load one OS and hide the other. :(

John

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Could you please describe how you installed the two copies of Windows? Did you install the second one with the first one being present or you just inserted one hard drive, installed Windows there and then unplugged the first drive and plugged the second and installed Windows there?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. John Farrar

Hello Ilya
    I had a hardrive with Windows XP Pro already installed. I then installed another hardrive and formatted it and made it active with Disk Director. I then booted from my XP boot CD and installed the OS onto the new hardrive.

Using the Windows XP boot.ini file I was able to boot into either OS but I wanted to hide one OS. That was when I installed OSS on the first hardrive but it did not see the OS on the second hardrive; and still does not. Only the first OS and a floppy drive show in the OSS window.

Both OSs are seen in True Image and I can create backups of the hidden OS with no problems. In the OSS options, the hidden OS is listed but is greyed out.

Thanks in hope.
    John

4. kite

kite Guest

installed the 537 version of disk director suite including os-selector. no improvement on my problems either. 2 partitions with supported operating systems still not recognized.

5. Acronis Support

Hello John,

Could you please describe what you mean by "Using the Windows XP boot.ini file I was able to boot into either OS"? Did you edit boot.ini file? Also please tell whether you installed Acronis OS Selector after you installed the second copy of Windows? Were you able to choose operating system before Acronis OS Selector was installed?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Acronis Support

Hello kite,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Could you please describe how your operating systems were installed? Also please let us know what operating systems you have.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. kite

kite Guest

hi,

well, i don't want to start this all over again. i mentioned these problems already in december 2004. there have extensive contacts between acronis and me (the last one dating from about 7 weeks ago). i've uploaded all kinds of information about my system, but nothing really happened past 5 months.

all of my operating systems (windows xp, ms-dos, bartpe (also windows xp) and suse linux professional) were installed BEFORE (the order should not have anything to do with the good working of os-selector) installing os-selector. os-selector does not recognize the ms-dos and the bartpe operating systems.

another product (osl2000) has no problem whatsoever to recognize all these operating systems. it just does what it has to do. i want to use acronis os-selector, because it looks much better. but it doesn't work. i've reverted to using the microsoft nt-loader with boot.ini. that looks better than osl2000.

please solve the problems with acronis os-selector. i've paid for the product.

kite

8. John Farrar

Ilya
    I am in the same position as Kite. I installed OS Selector after installing my 2 XP Pros on 2 different hardrives.

When I booted the PC I was given the 'DOS' window choice of which OS to boot into. I did not edit the boot.ini file.

I installed OS Selector onto the first hardrive AFTER installing the second copy of XP onto the second hardrive. There seemed no point in installing OS Selector before installing the second OS.

Yes, by using the Window provided by the boot.ini file.

As Kite says. OSl2000 has no problems at all in identifying my 2 OSs and I can boot into either one with the other hidden from the system, as I chose to do.

True Image can 'see' the second OS, even if it is hidden as I can make a TI image of it.
    Thanks and HTH
    John

9. John Farrar

Following a number of emails between Ilya and myself the problem has been resolved and OS Selector is now working giving me the choice of booting into 1 of 2 OSs. :)
    Thank you for your time and help Ilya. :cool:
    Regards
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.