An old malware execution keeps haunting me...

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by PunchsucKr, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

Hi... so i had just built my new system and installed a genuine Win7 Ultimate on it (the same installation i'm using now). Had installed Avira at the time (last year November).

My sister loaded an infected usb flash drive, i wasn't around, and ran the exe file looking like a folder :gack: rookie mistake...

Now the UAC was on, whether default level or full i do not remember. I did turn it all the way up when i came across the news of its vulnerabilities... but again i don't remember when.

Even if it was on the highest level i don't know whether it generated a prompt for the virus or not..cause if it did then my sister surely did click yes. :cautious:

The system was still on after the event, when i came across a window telling me that the <virus file name> failed to run or terminated abruptly or something like that... the only way i knew that it was executed, completely missed by avira.

I switched to MSE at that time and it did find 2 files in locations other than the system root. Ran MBAM and it dint find anything... ran dr web as well-nothing.

Now there are 2 event logs from that day, came across right now when i was going through it.

Event 1: Faulting application name:march 2009.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4748675c
    Faulting module name:march 2009.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4748675c
    Exception code: 0xc0000006
    Fault offset: 0x0002147b
    Faulting process id: 0x770
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca7a0a0c167757
    Faulting application path: J:\march 2009\march 2009.exe
    Faulting module path: J:\march 2009\march 2009.exe
    Report Id: 9a359405-e605-11de-8054-002421ddae72

Event 2:

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program march 2009.exe because of this error.

Program:march 2009.exe

Additional Data
    Error value: C000026E
    Disk type: 0

What can these logs tell? I've run countless utilities and they have found nothing. Ran antirootkit apps and still nothing...

Have demoted my account to limited since then, got sandboxie to run everything sandboxed from these flash drives.... Have i still something to worry about that execution or am i fine?

Please help.. Thanks :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

4. Ray The Jaws

Ray The Jaws Registered Member

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have NEVER heard of a Security software called "Microsoft Malware Pro"
    Are you misleading or mistyping here:rolleyes:

And if you are talking about SpywareTerminator?
    I have to tell you that ST is not a product from Microsoft unfortunately ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  6. CiX

CiX Registered Member

7. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.