An Introduction To Freeware Encryption Tools

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FTPete

FTPete Guest

I've been using Cryptainer LE for a few days and it seems good and it is very easy to use. I don't have much experience in this field, maybe some of you guys would like to give it a run. It's free plus there is also a free utility to create encrypted attachments for e-mails.

www.cypherix.com

I've just found this forum this morning and I really enjoy the reading here. I'll keep around for sure.

Have a great day :)

Pete

2. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

It has been a long time since I originally wrote Introduction To Freeware Encryption Tools. There have been many changes regarding several of the programs so that I could no longer recommend them. I have been away from Wilders due to things out of my control - however - I promise an update on all of this very, very soon. There's some good news on this front, such as the open-source development of Axcrypt and TrueCrypt. Update soon!

3. loserjames

loserjames Registered Member

4. Sid Post

Sid Post Guest

With encryption, it is important to use to current information and current technology. Freeware encryption that was good in the past may still be good for a casual snooper but, relying on it for true security of anything you really care about is risky.

TrueCrypt seems to be a good "current" program based on what I have read over at comp.security.pgp.discuss

While your over at the newsgroup, look for the "Security and Encryption FAQ" for a good wide spread discussion of what's out there. It may not be useful to the experienced but, to a novice it is certainly worth the read.

Some coverage of widely available commercial programs would be appreciated by people as well. Personally, I have been using PGP 8.0.3 for my email needs and PGP and TrueCrypt for encrypted volumes of data.

I have been asking around about the http://www.securstar.com/ products but, all I got was advertising. The DriveCrypt plus Pack looks intriguing since it encrypts everything including the Operating System files.

From the DriveCrypt plus Pack info page:
    - Full Disk Encryption (Encrypts parts or 100% of your HardDisk including the operating System)
    - Pre-Boot authentication (BEFORE the machines boots, a password is requested to decrypt the disk and start your machine)
    - Allows secure hiding of an entire operating system inside the free space of another operating system.
    - Strong 256bit AES encryption
    - USB-Token authentication at pre-boot level

5. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Hi luv2bsecure. It's good to see you again. I look forward in seeing what you have to say about this. :) You're really insightful in encryption.

6. irky

irky Guest

Dekart Private DIsk Light - a freeware disk encryption tool, and seems the guys from Dekart are not going to make it commercial.
    Uses 128-bit AES, quite a nice and Extremely easy to use. (their AES has been validated by authorities). They don't offer new features for now for it - but are still updating it - majorily bug fixes.

http://www.dekart.com/products/file_disk_encryption/private_disk_light/

7. squash

squash Registered Member

I use AxCrypt:
    http://axcrypt.sourceforge.net/

Extremely easy to use on-the-fly Encryption software
    SHA 128 Bit Encryption
    _Free to use_ and Open Source

Right click on file > Encypt > type passphrase (Password)
    Double click on Encypted file, and it will ask for your password.

8. yummy

yummy Guest

9. notageek

It looks like ICE Encrypt is an encryption program. I never heard of it so I know nothing about it. It don't look that good to me.

10. patermann

patermann Registered Member

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Gnu Privacy Guard (a.k.a. GPG, GnuPG). Admittedly, as it is a command line tool, it is harder to use than programs with a fancy GUI but there are GUI front-ends for it that ease the pain somewhat. It is used by many organisations, including some governments, and is also the engine behind the EnigMail extension for Thunderbird. It can be found at http://www.gnupg.org/ and is open-source if you like reading pages of C code...

patermann

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Blowfish Advanced CS / Parasite: Blowfish Advanced 97 - Pest Patrol
    It took me a few minutes to find out, that it is easy to use. I will just encrypt a file and associate file types. When I open an encrypted file, it will ask for the password. As soon as I type it, the file will open and when I close the file, the program is asking, if I finish working with the file, so it can encrypt the file. No need to type the password again. Done. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  12. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

While it is still beta, I think Sarah Dean has given encryption an excellent contribution with FreeOTFE (on the fly encryption) It is similar to TrueCrypt and rubber hose.
    Also check out her useful Secure Tray Utility that works with TrueCrypt, PGP and more. :cool:

13. leila123

leila123 Registered Member

Hmm but I have found such hardware devices at www.elkom.com.tw . It looks like hardware hard disk encryption . We can't test the hardware before we buy but what do you think ? Is it worth of buying ?

Tom.

14. notregd

notregd Guest

Will encryption stop isp from seeing surfing habits and email. i do not surf illegal just want privacy

15. notageek

Um in one word, NO. Your ISP is always going to know where you surf. Now as for email, I'm not sure.

16. ke jian

ke jian Registered Member

Allow me to add yet another entry to the field. Check out
    www.genekernis.com/crypto/vig_d.php. It's a simplistic text encryptor with a built in emailer and is completely free.

17. Have fun

Have fun Guest

Registrant:
    TEKNUM SYSTEMS AS
    P.O.Box 7218, Homansbyen
    OSLO 0307
    NO

Domain Name: HANDYBITS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Jolstad, Lars Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by Whois Source
    P.O.Box 7218, Homansbyen
    Oslo, 0307
    NO
    (+)47-23(26) fax: (+)47-23(26)

18. john2005

john2005 Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I really like the open source free encryption program Axcrypt...

http://axcrypt.sourceforge.net/

I found this to be fast, very easy to use, and it seems very good.

John

19. securityx

securityx Registered Member

I second the vote for AxCrypt. It is an excellent tool for single-file encryption.

The post asking about encrypted connections on the Internet really belongs in a privacy forum. This thread is about a completely different kind of encryption. But, the answer that said your ISP will always know where you are surfing is not true. If you protect your surfing habits with TOR, JAP or an encrypted VPN, your ISP only sees that you connected via VPN/SSH to a TOR node or to a VPN. Where you go from there is completely shielded from your ISP.

20. john2005

john2005 Registered Member

Hi SecurityX,

Just a note, when I want to encrypt more than one file at a time with Axcrypt, I just zip them with winzip or similar program, and then encrypt the archive. Seems to work well, and makes it easy to very quickly encrypt as many files as you want into a single archive, with axcrypt.

John

21. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Wow!!! This is a great topic...very interesting and has lots of infos bout encryption. ;)

Thanks a lot for having this thread. :D

As of now I just use Cryptainer LE for encryption some files to be hidden on my drives, but as I am reading this thread my knowledge on encryptions programs expands wildly like never before. :cool:

22. bobcat987

bobcat987 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2006
  23. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Very interesting thread. I can't help but notice that Scramdisk hasn't been mentioned at all. I realize it's an old program, but what's the consensus on it as far as encryption strength, exploits, back doors, etc? I'm still using it on my 98 box and especially like the "traveler mode", and the size of the 4 passphrases it accepts.
    Rick

24. securityx

securityx Registered Member

The original post was very good when it was written, but so many things have changed. I have read many good posts by luv2bsecure in the archives via Google. Does any one here know anything about this poster and what happened? Somebody told me by email that he worked in a university program that actually was known for being a front for some rather top-secret work. I am curious if he was involved in that and if he was maybe forced to stop posting here. He hasn't posted in years by my cursory search. Anybody know the scoop?

----securityx----

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.