An interesting report from Agnitum

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by AJohn, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

The numbers look a bit out of date.

3. Agnitum Tauscan 1.6.0723 21.10.2002 3772
    Kaspersky Labs. AVP 4.0.5.35 21.10.2002 3282
    Network Associates McAfee VirusScan 7.00.5000.0 21.10.2002 3182
    Diamond Computer Systems Pty. TDS-3 3.2.1 21.10.2002 3248
    MooSoft Development The Cleaner 3.5.3517 21.10.2002 2387
    Symantec NAV 2002 9.00.68 21.10.2002 2806

the datestamps are from 2002 so it says nothing.

tds rules

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Diddnt notice the timestamp :oops:

Still interesting how they marked.
    Ive been waiting for TDS4.

5. ,.-

,.- Guest

IMHO it's embarassing if a software producer publishes a biased "test" in order to bash the competition.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Well, gee, you gotta admit that Agnitum's chart is rather attractive -- 3D & all that, you know? :D

Seriously, though, Tauscan used to be a pretty good AT, but AFIK its engine hasn't been updated in ages. Does anyone have a possible reason as to why they have left it to languish?

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I dont know, but Tauscan has a simple installer while Jammer has a nice fancy one. Yet on there website they recommend using them together and Jammer will not even work with outpost...

So I guess they recommend not using outpost, or not using Tauscan or Jammer...

8. blub

blub Guest

Also they only tested against their own database... Who says that everything in their database is really malware?

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

A biased test - they picked a bunch of trojans Tauscan could detect and then tested to see if other ATs could detect that set - what they should have done is get a random sample of ITW trojans and tese against them. If they had done this - their Tauscan would have come out as the worst AT in the universe - since it cant detect its own ar*e using both hands - I know - I have it ( though not installed ) and have tested it on many trojans it claims to detect - and it will only find this limited range when set to advanced scanning - which will take 6-24 hours to scan an average system, depending on file types scanned.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I too have tauscan and am a registered user.However i took it off over a year and a half ago as it isnt that good and updates were few and far in between (due mainly to the companys preoccupation with the firewall side of thier buisness.Dont buy it (not that you even thought about it :) ) as it isnt value for money at present , and seems unlikely to be in the immediate future.
    ellison

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

To be fair to Agnitum, they are just doing what some other vendors do - showing how well other products do against their own library (see similar comparisons from Moosoft or Proantivirus Lab). However it is better not to make a comparison at all than to present such outdated material. As for the differing results, Agnitum is a Russian company and is therefore probably better able to monitor the Russian warez scene.

However CompUSA are offering BOClean for US$26.01 (do check the Dangers of HTTPS thread post 10 before placing an order there though!). Since home users can install it on all their PCs and need pay no further subscription charges, and since it gained a recommendation (with reservations) at Scheinsicherheit, it's pretty hard to recommend a single-user 1-year subscription to Tauscan at US$29.95.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.