An imaging question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bellgamin, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My present computer runs XP and is just the way I want it. However, today I saw a really great deal on an Acer tower that is faster & has more Ram & has more HD capacity (560 GB) than does my present computer. Unfortunately, it comes pre-loaded with Vista.

I have an image of my present computer's system drive (which is only 40GB). As already mentioned the Acer's HD is much larger.

QUESTION: If I buy the Acer & "restore" my current system's image to the Acer's system drive, will doing so hopefully cause the Acer to be just the same as what I have now -- except bigger & faster?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Depending on the program, you can restore to bigger partitions, and the program should automatically resize.

However, your drivers will not work. Make sure you buy the computer with all the necessary drivers for your OS (XP?), so you don't spend 4 weeks looking for drivers all over the web.

There might also be the activation thingie.

Mrk

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You cannot use XP on a Vista OS. You must install XP on your new computer (some vendors still sell machines with XP loaded), then get an imaging program that is hardware independent (I have Acronis but it won't work) such as ShawdowProtect. You will need sound and network drivers, but your system will boot. I use XP as well and moved to a much more powerful laptop and imaged my old system and installed it on the new one with ShawdowProtect. I know you don't like PC Magazine, but the review covers the hardware independent aspect and the link to Storagecraft details the use of their hardware independent imaging program.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2254491,00.asp

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

AFAIK you can clone your disk using Shadowprotect and use it on the new computer as a vm.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    in addition to the above you would need to make sure you have a retail license for windows xp. ifs its oem its tied to that machine and its against the eula to install it on another machine.

6. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

As previously mentioned, you'll need to install XP on your new PC.
    Then you'll have to download a couple of software drivers for your drivers to work properly (depends on what brand the Acer components are).

Then you can flash the image into your new setup, delete the incompatible drivers, and install the new downloaded software drivers.

Good luck.

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

bellgamin,

If the Acer has 2GB of RAM (or more), it's not worth the hassle of replacing it with XP. I would leave Vista on it (just be sure to download all important updates). My wife's Vista PC now runs very well (after installing SP1 and subsequent hotfixes).

Then reinstall your apps (assuming they are Vista-compatible) and just copy over your data, etc.

Aaron

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks to all. The thought of messing with drivers, possible hardware conflicts, etc, decided me to stay with what I have until it breaks. As stated in original post, my present rig works great. I just got attracted by the pretty bells & whistles of the Acer.

In any event, when my present rig dies, I should probably switch to Mac.

Again... thanks. You advice kept from from a lot of headaches.

9. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I agree with Aaron. I just purchased a new computer with Vista Home. Certain functions slow me down a bit (but just occasionally) as I adjust to some of the features and GUIs of Vista. But Vista has worked flawlessly - I'm not sure why everyone hates it so vehemently. SP1 installation went uneventfully. Computer does boot up slowly, but I think I have some work to do to remove a lot of craplets:mad: - not Vista's fault

10. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Tsk tsk tsk...

I would've waited for Windows 7 if I were you.:cool:

11. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Just install the old drive containing XP in the new ACER

Install a boot manager like this one here and then you can boot into and use either drive.

Have the old drive recognised by the new computer.

Ignore the old titles,just XP and Vista should appear.

2008-08-16_130251.png

12. LenC

LenC Registered Member

And as soon as Windows 7 is released, someone will be telling me to wait for Windows 8:D .

13. Bunkhouse Buck

Booting into XP is really not the issue- that can be achieved in a variety of ways. The problem is that hardware and driver settings that worked with XP on his hard drive and old computer, will not work on the new computer with Vista. If this was not true, it wouldn't matter what OS you use. A lot needs to be done to get it to work correctly.

14. Bunkhouse Buck

That will not get it done. Some apps will not work in Vista, and what you suggest is very time consuming and not the best way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.