an image rebuild to new hdd is not bootable. why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pidulebu, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pidulebu

pidulebu Registered Member

when making an image and i later extract it back to a new hdd, this hdd doesn't start properly....
    is it not possible to copy mbr into the image so rebuilding to the new hdd it will be totaly functionable?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you made an image of C or of the whole drive then the MBR is included but it is not restored unless you specify it. In the restore wizard at the page of what to restore you will see something like "MBR and Track 0". You need to restore this. However, it cannot be selected with the partition to restore you have to progress through the wizard and then when it asks you if you want to restore another partition you select yes and it will take you back to that page where you can select MBR and Track 0. Then proceed through the wizard.

If you have already put the image on the disk then you just need to start the restore and select MBR and Track 0.

The above description is how it was previously to TI2009 and I am assuming it is roughly the same.

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

If you restore only a partition, TI will create a generic MBR on a blank hard disk. The generic MBR is capable of booting all Microsoft operating systems, so I doubt this is your issue.

Other things can go wrong during a restore. For example, as you are going through the restore wizard you must specify "Active" for a partition that contains an operating system. I've seen the wizard default to "Logical", so if you weren't watching carefully you might end up with the OS in a logical partition. Logical partitions will not boot directly from a generic MBR.

The other common problem happens if you restore to a new disk and then boot with both the new and old disks connected simultaneously. Windows does not like having two disks attached with identical disk IDs, so it will monkey with one or the other. The result is generally that one of the two disks becomes unbootable. To avoid this, restore to a completely blank disk and then shut down after the restore completes. Remove the original source disk and boot with only the new disk attached.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.