An idea to check password strength?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by acr1965, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Wondering if I could get some feedback on an idea I had about checking password strength. If passwords are stored on a server and kept by md5 hash, would it be recommended to check the md5 of your password then do a google search of that md5 to see if any results appear? I tried it and no results are present. Any thoughts about this?

I used the following site for the md5 http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php

What other methods are passwords stored on servers?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Re: An idea to check password strength & md5 check?

I don't like the thought of searching for such things on google as it becomes part of their search suggestions. There are plenty of offline password tools for generating secure passwords.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Re: An idea to check password strength & md5 check?

I agree with xxJackxx. I wouldn't Google my passwords or hashes that come from them.

You could use something like KeePass's password generator function. Paste your passwords in and see how strong it rates your passwords in bits. You can only do one at a time but at least it's not on the web.

(Or in the FWIW category... rather than testing them, just make them decent to start with. Make them at least 16 characters or longer (IMO, this is the most important thing), some upper case, some lower case, some special symbols and no dictionary based words. This should pass most tests pretty well.)

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I've tested with an 8 character fake password and the md5 showed no search results. That was about a month ago...just tried the same md5 and it still showed no google search results. I have google suggest on and am signed in to google when I search. Still no results for the md5 hash.

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't see how this would be useful. Do you think sites with password databases are going to let them get indexed by Google?

Even if they did, how do you know if they're using an md5 hash? They could (should!) be salting them and if you don't know what data they used, you wouldn't be able to check.

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

As SirDrexi said this won't be particularly helpful. It assumes an attacker has compromised your hashed password and then left it online somewhere, an dthat they use MD5 with no salt.

7. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.