An Honest Question Regarding NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by n8chavez, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What does the future hold for ESET's standalone AV. We have all seen their suite beta. I have to say I was not impressed. I respect their effort but realized that it is not my 'cup of tea.' Can we expect the same changes, gui, etc., to be done with NOD32?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, same interface, same options, same GUI. NOD32 = ESS, but with only AV+AS. Or at least it seems this way.

3. n8chavez

Damn. I was afraid of this. Eset took away everything that made nod unique. They seem to have adopted a rather generic gui. Now, I guess, all my hopes rest on Dr Web v5.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Excuse me but I can,t sop myself from saying. U mean a rather stu*id GUI is unique? Even if it is, it,s just the GUI.
    New GUI seems much user friendly.

5. n8chavez

What exactly does that term mean. User friendliness is relative and is not the same for one as it may be to another. I happened to like the 2.x gui, you did not. I also happen to like the Dr Web 4.x gui, some do not. Both in my opinion are concerned with functionality and less with 'friendliness,' as guis should be.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ n8chavez

I am sure you don't like the new user interface because you mode used to the NOD32 v2's one. When you first install the software (ESS) you see something different . Some people really hate differenced and that's why they don't like it .

As someone who works with computers and his hobby are computers , I prefer the NOD32 v2 interface . However , we should admit that the new GUI of ESS/NOD32 v.3 is much more user friendly and applies better to less PC savvy users . They just have to configure the zones in the firewall , the updates and to learn how to press "Automatic cleaning" .

I am sure you'll get used to the new GUI , the program is excellent ;)

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

NOD32 v2 GUI was the worst.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U have to see the opinion of majority for that matter.

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

At the end of the day the Gui maybe relevant for the sales efforts of Eset but as long as I find my way around, I don't care that much. I have not trialled the Beta Suite, so I cannot comment on the new Gui. I never had any problems with the old (ie existing) one but that does not mean that I am worried about a new gui that maybe be less special. Efficiency and detection rates, smooth updates and low resources, that's whay I am looking for.:)

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Actually, I think the Gui is logically well laid out and nice. I have seen a lot worse but to me, it really isnt bad.

11. extratime

extratime Registered Member

The GUI in 2.x is pretty complex, but you get used to it. Frankly after you implement Blackspear's settings there is really not much need to look at the GUI.

IMHO the GUI should not be a major factor in deciding the AV, unless the user is not tech-savvy. I guess that is what ESET was trying to do in 3.0, have a GUI which didn't scare potential customers.

12. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Isn't the most important thing about any program the way it works rather than how it looks?Any GUI can be "got used to" but a program not performing how it should or how you want/expect can't be"got used to" and after all,as already mentioned,once you set Nod to work as you want you very rarely have to use the GUI to make changes

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I personally enjoyed the 2.X GUI. It was easy to use, easy to navigate and told me exactly what I was doing. As a reseller and a support person for NOD32, I don't really care if they change the GUI as long as it still provides the protection it has become famous for.

I really don't want the gui to get too advanced and graphical because it begins to use more and more system resources and eventually becomes a system pig like Norton and McAfee. I'd rather have a simple, easy to use interface without the Fisher-Price icons and animations.

I think the new interface accomplishes both. Easy to use and navigate, but pretty enough for the general population to accept it.

14. toasale

toasale Registered Member

Here's my 2 cents.....If NOD32 continued to look like my fourth wife, but scans and works like my fifth, I have no plans to not play the field - Nod, that is!

:thumb:

15. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

If you have not learned from your past mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them!
    It appears you have alot to learn, toasale.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i to like the nod32 2x interface.
    the problem with the ess interface is that if you want to change the advanced options you have to switch to advanced mode then go to options.
    plus i couldnt seem to make the left coloumn any wider.
    so to see all the options i had to scroll from left to right to read the whole sentence of that section. that is annoying.
    i think there should be an options "use old interface" for the people who want it
    just like the classic windows theme.
    but in the same way i love the kis6.0 GUI but the kis7.0 gui is different but i will get used to it and i knida like it anyway.
    lodore

17. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

But do you also want the 'bloat' that goes with it?

More options = more 'bloat'.

Most users of this forum should be able to adapt to any gui very quickly. Unfortunately all those millions of people out there who need their hands held (i.e. Eset's target market) won't buy NOD unless the gui is very user-friendly.

Unless Eset gets new customers they won't survive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.